New member, workshop project and a couple of past projects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy brookes

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Found this forum the other day when looking for idea's on how to extend my garage and re roof it. Had a good look round and it's great, lots of great idea's and making me what to buy lots of tools!!! damn you all!!!

Have completed a few projects in the past from building new doors for a kitchen in my old house, building a character workshop, building fitted wardobes, building a desk. All completed using B&Q materials cut at B&Q to my size requirements, then finishing with some trusty cheap tools, again B&Q £15 each tools!! I think I have made quite a good job considering the processes that I have used! I'll post some pic's up when I have a few mins free.

So back to the garage extension. Currently my garage is a very small single with an old cement absesdos roof which leaks. So it's time to re-roof and extend. I'm going to use the existing shell which is of ugly concrete block construction, but is built like a brick s**t house, so seems silly to knock down and start again. I'll be extending to the rear of the current garage to house a good workbench and tool storage shelving system. Then to the side and front will be a covered area that I can use to work on cars in the dry if its wet. The current garage will be kept clear for large wood and car projects. The extention will be 2x4" contruction with feather edge on the outside of everything including the old concrete block garage to tidy the looks of that up. Roof will be pitched with wickes corregated bitumen sheets over an OSB shell.I will post a pic of the plans.

Off to Cheltenham tonight to pick up a Cedar up and over door that I managed to pick up on ebay for £250, this ones brand new and cost £1100 at Xmas. The guy selling it has decided he wants a double garage door now. Glad he is as it should look great.

As I said, great forum and will be watching various projects...but will try to resist the urge to buy new tools. I'll post some pics of previous projects and the garage refit as it unfolds.

Cheers Andy in Dorset.

Welcome aboard, Andy!
Waka is extending his single garage at the moment - worth keeping an eye on his for ideas?
Best regards
Philly :D

Andy - welcome to the forum. I see you live in Dorset which can be a very expensive part of the world to live in, 'specially if you want to start to extend the tool collection :wink: :lol: :lol: - Rob

Thanks for all the welcomes' very friendly.

Here's the new door I picked up tonight, very pleased for 250 quid. And a pick of it on the top of my trusty Audi! I nearly flow on the way home! Taken a load of pics of past projects tonight, will post them later in the week as I need to hit the sack for a 7am flight to Manchester tomorrow (or is that this morning!)

2329311299_771e33bbe2_o.jpg

2329311099_5596e69867_o.jpg

2329309827_66fbec2814_o.jpg

Cheers Andy

Welcome andy, your pics will appear shortly when moderators arrive.

BTW you mention asbestos roof, I've got one and local contractors want £600 to take mine away, and that was after I had cleared the garage myself.

Hello and welcome to the forum,

those doors are very costly new, you seem to have a bargain there! Look forward to seeing future pics :)

GT

devonwoody":1dpe27hu said:
Welcome andy, your pics will appear shortly when moderators arrive.

BTW you mention asbestos roof, I've got one and local contractors want £600 to take mine away, and that was after I had cleared the garage myself.

Spoken to the local council, they accept asbestos at dedicated dumps in my area, as long as I wrap it and ring them before to make sure they have enough room. The key is not to break it when you take it off and wear a mask. Drilling it or sanding it is the worst thing that can be done.

Here's a couple of useful links I was sent by the council.

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=3154

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=3164

Cheers Andy

Gordon T":3bmetzn3 said:
Hello and welcome to the forum,

those doors are very costly new, you seem to have a bargain there! Look forward to seeing future pics :)

GT

I checked the Gardor website and the RRP is £1345 without frame! The guy I bought it off paid £1100 quid in Dec. What an expensive mistaka to makea!

Cheers Andy

Here's a couple of 3D model pics for my garage extension. The grey bit is the existing garage, yellow bit the new extension. Still quite a bit of detail to finish on the model. Should give lots of loft storage, which I need so bad. Also a pic of the garage as it stands now....how ugly!

2329319703_7169277b21_o.jpg

2329319653_f763b7fb31_o.jpg

2329310991_701dfbbb1e_o.jpg

Cheers Andy[/img]

And now for some previous projects! A fitted wardrobe and a desk, both made from B&Q ply with cheap B&Q tools. I also made good use of Ikea fittings for both, all less than a fiver and really good quality. Well recommended my me.

2329310063_2088caac03_o.jpg

2329310187_7c73d4ddee_o.jpg

2330134226_6f9936ae0a_o.jpg

2330134332_c55f610feb_o.jpg

2329310581_4a1c78f8f6_o.jpg

2330134664_0e6508342a_o.jpg

2329310711_1421325cb1_o.jpg

2329310769_8bfea75924_o.jpg

2329310833_6f0ee54cdb_o.jpg

Cheers Andy

Andy thanks for posting the link re disposal of asbestos.

Devon C.C. unfortunately dont work the same way, they direct you to a contractor for anything over a single bag full.
And has I have got 16 sheets I dont think I would get away with 16 trips with a bag spread over time lapse.

Very impressive Andy. I do like the desk and the idea of the filing cabinet innards. Did you veneer the top or is it just ply? Nice finish too. The cable tidy (I think it is) is another good idea too. Are all the fittings for the wardrobes available from Ikea? I can see SWMBO wanting something like this if she sees this thread. Nice work. :wink:

mailee":224kbwlf said:
Very impressive Andy. I do like the desk and the idea of the filing cabinet innards. Did you veneer the top or is it just ply? Nice finish too. The cable tidy (I think it is) is another good idea too. Are all the fittings for the wardrobes available from Ikea? I can see SWMBO wanting something like this if she sees this thread. Nice work. :wink:

Cheers. All the fitting are from Ikea...

Clothes Rail http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10014898
Clothes Baskets http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70106791
And loads of other bits http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categ ... oom/11003/
Can't find the filing system or cable tidy on the website now. I'm sure they must still do them.

No veneer, just careful selection of ply! All was stained and then varnished with satin Ronseal.

Cheers Andy

Back