New member new workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plug

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys new member here, just thought I would post some pics of my new garage/workshop I am building, I hope to start on the workbench soon and purchase some more machinery. The building measures 9metres by 6.2metres with a roof hight of 2.2metres.
14d3koz.jpg

n5ovhw.jpg

212c0ly.jpg

35ivi3q.jpg

29b0hgn.jpg

jrtjsl.jpg

1jpahv.jpg

8y9s2r.jpg

2igghmw.jpg

Here are your Pics
Once you have made a few posts the spam trap will be released.

Welcome to the Forum

Bob

14d3koz.jpg

n5ovhw.jpg

212c0ly.jpg

35ivi3q.jpg

29b0hgn.jpg

jrtjsl.jpg

1jpahv.jpg

8y9s2r.jpg

2igghmw.jpg
[/quote]

Cor - That looks like it's a good size. I need to do something along those lines at the bottom of my garden as my shed is getting more and more cramped all the time.

Keep posting the pics - I love seeing workshop build threads.

... and I almost forgot... Welcome to the forum plug.

that's a nice space, are you utilising all that loft area?

Where abouts in kent are you?

Hi guys, I am in Sittingbourne, the loft area will be floored out and will be used for storage of timber, paint, garden furniture etc. I plan to build a staircase which I can lower and raise when needed. I am a carpenter by trade working mainly on older buildings such as barn conversions, using lots of green oak.
I have a Bosch GCM 12 mitre saw and makita 2704 saw bench.
I am looking to buy a planer thicknesser, piller drill, bandsaw and some dust extraction in the near future. Axminster tools is only about 5 minutes from where I live, can anyone recomened any of their stuff.

blimey i'd be broke if I was so close to Axminster ;)

P/T I can't rate the Jet range highly enough. Worth a search on these forums for comments. I have the 10" and it's a dream to use.

Hi Plug,

I'd stay away from the bottom of the range stuff Axminster sell. It is really designed down to a price and in many cases even with tweaking results are just not repeatable.
They are now selling some really expensive kit and only look at this if you have very deep pockets.

Jet tools are pretty good VFM and if you have the space I'd always go for separate thicknessers and jointers. I have a combined Kity and it is just not repeatable when swapping modes.
The Jet 8" jointer is excellent. I have a secondhand 12" no name thicknesser which being old is solidly made and reasonable quality.
Several members have the DW thicknesser which seem to get good comments 733 - i think is the model.

Deltas are good but not available new in UK and possibly no spares support soon either (?)

HTH

Bob

Thanks everyone, moved here 2 years ago and the one thing I wanted with the house was a large garage or space to build my own, this house was the only one we found after looking at about 40 houses.
I would be in Axminster every weekend but swmbo won't let me, plus there is still alot of work to do in the house, garden and workshop. Fitted the lights this weekend so now I can go out in the evenings after work.
Next I have to make some dado trunking so I can install the ring main. Anyone got any good ideas on how to layout a workshop?

Hello Plug and welcome. That is a great workshop you are building there! Only one piece of advice I can give though, (as I have built a few outdoor buildings in the past) Get yourself some staging or ladders for the roof work, it must be really difficult on that trampoline mate. :lol:

hey paul. its neil, rachels boyfriend!!

seen this garage in person. very well done!
exactly what im looking at building in the next few weeks!

like the joke about the trampoline!! :lol:

Nice space, particularly like the roof!

One question (sorry for being nosey), did you have to get a structural engineers input for building control? I have a 5x17m shed that needs replacing, and it's the roof part that worries me when it comes to b.c.

Btw like the car, good job you have somewhere nice to keep it when it goes wrong :wink:

Si

(Can't talk as I hear Lotus = Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious)

The colour of the car is purple, TVRs own colour, it does go wrong now and again (just fitted a new clutch), it is a high performance sports car after all.

I used 100 * 50 rafter with a 100 * 50 purlin midway along the rafters total rafter length is just under 4 metres. I might put in additional support when it gets tiled.

mailee":29zyko7o said:
Get yourself some staging or ladders for the roof work, it must be really difficult on that trampoline mate. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one Alan

Welcome plug, and thanks for making me jealous :mrgreen: with that massive workshop, can I be cheeky and ask where you got the timber and what price it was.

Most of the timber came from work the 175mm feather edge cladding came of an old barn we converted (it had only been put on 3 years previous quick clean and 3 coats of stain now looks like new). The 150 *50 for the walls was ordered wrong for a joisting job, instead of it being returned to the supplyer I brought it from my boss for £400.00. The internal ply sheet was left over from the barn job, so no cost to me, all the Tyvec vapor barrier and insulation (150mm thick) was leftovers from different jobs.
I have only paid for the rafters which came from Channel Woodcraft in Folkstone Kent can't remember what I paid.
The largest cost was the foundations, mini digger hire and 31 tonnes of ballest plus cement all mixed in a small electric mixer.
My neigbour is a manger of a elecrical wholesalers, lights were £6 each (5 foot) 10mm armoured cable was free as I fitted his kitchen worktops.
I am waiting until April for a house to be demolished and rebuilt so I can have the old tiles of the roof.
Estamated cost of the whole build so far is about £1000.00

Hi is that the special fireproof hardcore that you used under your slab,what have you used to water proof the retaining wall,nice shop great space cheers john c

Latest posts

Back