New member introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profchris

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been reading this forum so much I thought I should join up.

As you all seem to know each other I thought I should introduce myself. Amateur ukulele maker, but about to start my first tenor (four string) guitar. And I've made shelves, natch. Entirely self-taught, so there's a lot of ruined wood behind me. On the other hand, most of it is recycled. 99% hand tool user, though I do have and use a bandsaw.

Hope I can contribute as well as learn. I'll post pics once I'm allowed to do so.

Welcome prof.....nice to meet you. Wont take you long to get to know members, especially once you start posting pics. There are some very skilled luthiers on the forum so you're in good company.

As I can now post links, this is the kind of thing I make:

15059300987_375ed5f0eb.jpg

(Camp uke recycled from a pub bar top, also in picture

2015-03-27%2011.08.22_zpsookmh3xk.jpg

(Cigar box uke, made for a friend from wood found in his Dad's shed)

IMAG0541_zps6d200d72.jpg

IMAG0545_zpsccbe99a3.jpg

(Koa and ash, bought the koa but the ash was from a firewood log)

I also make traditional figure 8 shapes - just completing one, so might add pics of that soon.

whiskywill":31nr4f3l said:
Random Orbital Bob":31nr4f3l said:
There are some very skilled luthiers on the forum .

And me.

Very nice instruments. What is the soundboard on the camp ukulele? It looks like lacewood.

The camp uke is in fact oak, rarely used for instruments. But I planed it and saw the grain, so cut a slice and it went "Bonggg". Sold!

Close-ups of front and back. The finish is shellac.

15214548422_37792787c3.jpg

15028151359_3166a5de94.jpg

Back