New Mallet for Ironballs - Part 2 - handle manuf wip shots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Following Ironballs request for a spinny practitioner, (see thread), I have got round to making a start on this project.

Following agreeing to make the mallet, I received the following (very heavy) parcel in the post (Ironballs had very kindly offered to double up the materials as a thank-you for doing the turning - a very kind gesture given the enjoyment involved in using such nice materials anyway):

CIMG0709.jpg

Having looked through the supplied timber, I selected the following for Ironballs mallet (the balls were very similar but one of the handle blanks supplied had a really nice ripple that hopefully will remain in the final item).

CIMG0711.jpg

So, first job, to drill a hole through the centre - 1" seemed about right. Not sure what the plastic plug was made of but it gave off a really pleasant eucalyptus smell.

CIMG0712.jpg

So, having done that and after turning a simple tapered plug to drive the bowl the bowl was on the lathe:

CIMG0713.jpg

Roughing down to shape - really hard timber, several trips to the grinder needed!

CIMG0715.jpg

Several more trips to the grinder gave the final shape, sanded through to 1200 grit but no finish applied. Some really spectacular grain was revealed - I am not sure it really needs any finish. I will have a chat with Ironballs but I am tempted to leave the narually waxy quality of the timber shine through.

CIMG0716.jpg

CIMG0720.jpg

CIMG0721.jpg

So, that it the head done, next job is the handle.

BRgds

Simon

I have often wondered how to turn these bowls as they are a good source of lignum. Thanks for this. I never thought of them for a mallet like that.

Looking good so far, look forward tom seeing the finished product

Pete

That's what hands are for Olly :roll: :lol:

Wow! Looking great Simon, you were right when you said the figure was good. That finish straight off the lathe looks very glossy. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it take shape

Hi Simon,
Looking good so far.
I too was always intrigued how to do this, so appreciate you taking the time to put up the WIP photos.
Looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Malc :D

Wow, lovely figuring! I'm making a smoothing plane from Lignum at the moment, and although its a hard material to work, well worth it.
Look forward to seeing the completed mallets!
Philly :D

Olly,

(Looking over shoulder for H&S police) I am afraid Wizer is spot on !!! :shock: :oops:

(although there was a small circa 30mm dia flat on opposite sides formed by the pastic inserts)

Simon

SVB":32147a7b said:
So, first job, to drill a hole through the centre - 1" seemed about right. Not sure what the plastic plug was made of but it gave off a really pleasant eucalyptus smell.

If the bowls were old enough then the plugs are likely to have been ivory. Can you see any grain in it?

As for finish - I'd leave it just sanded since a lot of finishes will have trouble adhering, and the surface of a mallet will get a lot of knocks

SVB":2ekcpsp9 said:
(Looking over shoulder for H&S police) I am afraid Wizer is spot on !!! :shock: :oops:

(although there was a small circa 30mm dia flat on opposite sides formed by the pastic inserts)

When I made mine (with help from paulm), we held it in one of those wooden clamp thingies, cramped to the drill table, plus a few other bits of wood, which held it quite firmly

Carversmallet1.jpg

My ball was a lot scruffier than yours but it turned up OK. Here it is finished

Carversmallet8.jpg

Lignum certainly turns nicely :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Lovely stuff that Lignum. The smell as Rob has said is quite extraordinary and lovely.
Looks like your gonna have a nice mallet ther IB.

hmmm.
I think I've got some wooden bowling balls in a cupboard somewhere if any turners fancy making some more mallets.
What wood is advised for the handles ?

Yes very nice mallet, something else to put on the buy on sight list. :oops:
crazylilting":3anai65c said:
Now that is a nice mallet!!!

Good job... hmmm no clapping smiley :clapping:
You need to click on View more Emoticons..... =D>

jlawrence":145nvkdp said:
hmmm.
I think I've got some wooden bowling balls in a cupboard somewhere if any turners fancy making some more mallets.
What wood is advised for the handles ?

I'll have a go if no one local wants to take the challenge. I've been after some lignum bowls for quite a while. Haven't I Ironballs? :wink:

wizer, You'd be more than welcome to have a play with them :oops:
It might take me a while to find where on earth they are though - we've moved house twice since I last remember seeing them. No doubt swmbo will know 'exactly' where they are - it just sometimes takes her a week or so to find out where 'exactly' is within the house :roll:

What sort of wood would make the best handle. I'm thinking something fairly light in colour to contrast with the dark wood of the balls.

I have some Ash? Or Beech ?

Thinking about it, I might not get them done before I go into hospital so it might not be a go-er. I'll be recovering til the new year. Unless you find them by the end of the week, then I'd suggest selecting another turnist.

wizer, there'd be no rush - I just like the idea and I'm certain I've got some wooden bowls 'somewhere'.
I'm sure it would be nice for you to have something to do in the new year for which you wouldn't have a deadline to finish it.

added:
I doubt I'll find time this week to go hunting for them. All my spare time needs to be spent getting my competition entry finished.

Back