New Makita 2704NS1 Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BALDRIG

Reaction score
Hi.
I have recently bought a new Makita 2704 table saw and I'm not happy with the blade guard/riving knife/ anti kick back assembly, as it's not like anything I've seen on video's. I'd like to hear If anyone else has one and their thoughts on it. Thanks

If you not happy with it, try returning it, get a dewalt instead. I'm using the DWE7485 - it can do precise cuts if calibrated. The only thing I would welcome is bigger saw blade diameter (210mm). So perhaps the DWE7492 (250mm) would be a good choice. If you care for your fingers, then Festool with implemented sawstop technology.

If you not happy with it, try returning it, get a dewalt instead. I'm using the DWE7485 - it can do precise cuts if calibrated. The only thing I would welcome is bigger saw blade diameter (210mm). So perhaps the DWE7492 (250mm) would be a good choice. If you care for your fingers, then Festool with implemented sawstop technology.
Is the sawstop based on the blade sensing 'blood'?
If so, you'll find you cant cut damp wood, it trips the sensor.
🤔 maybe they'll do one that works on dna, so you programme it to know your blood specifically, that way any thieving gets or people buying hooky kit can still chop off their bits 😆🤣

Hi.
I have recently bought a new Makita 2704 table saw and I'm not happy with the blade guard/riving knife/ anti kick back assembly, as it's not like anything I've seen on video's. I'd like to hear If anyone else has one and their thoughts on it. Thanks
What's the issue looks standard to me??

Is the sawstop based on the blade sensing 'blood'?
If so, you'll find you cant cut damp wood, it trips the sensor.
🤔 maybe they'll do one that works on dna, so you programme it to know your blood specifically, that way any thieving gets or people buying hooky kit can still chop off their bits 😆🤣
Human body carries a natural eletrical current, which gets detected on saw blade contact, and pyrotechnic charge fires a block of aluminium into the blade to stop it, and the kinetic energy absorbed also makes the blade retract. When cutting wet wood, you can temporarily disable this function to prevent sawblade misfire. I've seen polystyrene sheet to trigger it too.

The SawStop senses the difference in conductivity of human flesh verses the wood. Very very wet wood can trigger the brake but all you have to do before cutting is touch the wood to the blade before turning on the saw to cut. The warning light by the switch will flash red if it will trigger. Same way you can test to see if it will detect you or anything else you want to cut. If it will and you still want to use the saw you can go through the bypass key. You have to do it every time you turn off the saw between cuts when bypassing.

The brake has a computer chip in it that constantly checks for changes the might be flesh. If it does sense flesh it send voltage through a little wire keeping a heavy spring compressed. The wire (fuse) melts letting the spring push the aluminum piece into the blade, stopping it and dropping the blade below the table. Like running into a low rope at full tilt. Catches you across the throat and drops you on your back. All this happens in about five milliseconds. There is no pyrotechnics involved. The Bosch system works in a similar manner to detect flesh except compressed air from a little cylinder pushes the trunnion below the table. Maybe their system has a firecracker in it. 😉 If you want I’ll photograph the brake, un-fired, if you’re interested.

Pete

I used a 2704 for ten years or more, quite happy with it. Never an issue with the riving knife, once adjusted for clearance after removing and replacing. What is your issue?

I used a 2704 for ten years or more, quite happy with it. Never an issue with the riving knife, once adjusted for clearance after removing and replacing. What is your issue?
The riving knife on the one I've got has a bolted section that comes right over the blade and the guard is fixed to it in two places.

Attachments

• 20221004_103051.jpg
    20221004_103051.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221004_103105_001.jpg
    20221004_103105_001.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Looks a good solid rig.

I have never used a saw with anti-kick back pawls, can you remove or disengage them? If I'm sawing through a piece of timber and it starts to nip I pull it back to me and go again, I presume the pawls stop you doing this, that would be really irritating!

Looks a good solid rig.

I have never used a saw with anti-kick back pawls, can you remove or disengage them? If I'm sawing through a piece of timber and it starts to nip I pull it back to me and go again, I presume the pawls stop you doing this, that would be really irritating!
The anti kick back can be easily removed but the guard is fixed and not meant to be removed without tools, but I believe older models could be, enabling rebates to be cut.

It might end up being a safety feature that causes more problems than it solves.

I suggest you should NEVER take the guard off but some people do and if it's a faff removing and re fitting it there is probably less chance it will get put back on again :rolleyes:

It might end up being a safety feature that causes more problems than it solves.

I suggest you should NEVER take the guard off but some people do and if it's a faff removing and re fitting it there is probably less chance it will get put back on again :rolleyes:
The guard is the new European guard. Sometimes if you want to cut rebates/grooves, it is handy to remove the guard if great care is taken.

Back