New magnet regulations.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackL

Established Member
Reaction score
I make a few fridge magnets from odd bits and pieces of wood left over from other projects. The type of thing that the little people can buy at craft fairs for 10p. Dolphins, whales, cats and that sort of thing.
But it's been brought to my notice that I now have to attach a warning that these fridge magnets contain magnets (YES - HONESTLY).
For the benefit of anyone else who may fall foul of Trading Standards, the new regulations can be found here.
http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/ruDetail?type=REGUPDATE&itemId=1080909570&topicType=5

You should have posted this in the off topic forum. They love this sort of thing.

Don't eat Magnets!!!! Wow, good job someone told me this, I was just about to have a bowl of Magnet Soup. :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's all getting a little bit silly int it.

This thread may well ATTRACT a lot of views. :lol:

Rich.

I did see a program about toys that contain magnets. sometimes children would put them in their mouth and occasionaly accidentally swallow one.

nothing wrong or unsafe with that !

but -

if they happened to be unfortunate enough to swallow another one, it would find the other one in the gut and stick to it - tearing a hole in the gut wall and infecting the body with raw waste - now this was more serious !

Way back in my youth, and i suspect in some of yours too, it actually did us GOOD to trip over and graze our knees, it taught us to look where we were going, it did us good to have houses that hadnt been eradicated of 99.99% of bacteria,to get splinters, cuts and grazes and know that first aid was in the form of iodine/bandaid/butter and NOT a trip to the solicitors.It was GOOD to live in fear of a copper who could give you a clip round the ear,or of getting the cane at school or getting a damn good hiding off your dad if he heard you swear.It was good to be sexually naive until puberty, to play with kids at cowboys and indians using sticks for guns,to have to ask questions about things instead of reading endless stupid labels stating the ****ing obvious.

I think i need to go and lie down in a darkened room.

Mrs Pig suggests a padded cell. ! :|

Piggy

BFG I couldn't agree more.

But like Green said this deserves to be somewhere else as I can see it getting waaay off topic VERY quickly.

Had a look at that link and see this:-

or becoming attached to a metallic object inside the human body

So what part of the human body comprises a 'metalic object' :? :lol:

Tell Mrs Pig to make it a large one, just to accommodate the rest of us!
My mother always reckoned there were more out than in!

Roy.

Could that be a splint,attached to a compound fracture or a metal skull plate?Though I do believe H&S are becoming ever more "jobsworthy".

The utter stupidity of many of these regs is that the most likely 'victims' would be far to young to ready the bloody notices!

Roy.

My son would always be in the Kitchen looking in the fridge, we thought at the time that he was still hungry and was seeing what else he could stuff down his Gannet throat, but after reading this we've had second thoughts and have come to the conclusion that he swallowed a magnet when he was younger and every time he walks past the fridge he sticks to it, no wonder it took all my strength to pull him off :lol:

Digit":3utn3u7s said:
Tell Mrs Pig to make it a large one, just to accommodate the rest of us!

I did, but as she wasn`t privvy to the thread she misunderstood, and got hold of the wrong end of the stick.
She did indeed make it a large one.
A drink that is.
Why ? what were you lot thinking i meant ? :shock:
:oops:

Piggy

motownmartin":2f5hzuxv said:
My son would always be in the Kitchen looking in the fridge, we thought at the time that he was still hungry and was seeing what else he could stuff down his Gannet throat, but after reading this we've had second thoughts and have come to the conclusion that he swallowed a magnet when he was younger and every time he walks past the fridge he sticks to it, no wonder it took all my strength to pull him off :lol:

RATFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brilliant Martin.
Cheers,
Gary.

The world looks madder by the day...why do so few people appear to wish to take any responsibility for their actions (or their childrens') Unfortunately a lack of disclaimer (ie Rat Poison..poisonous may cause death if ingested) is likely to lead to a succesful damages claim, now we're in a no win no fee lawyer's culture.

Back