New lathe up & running (a little gloat)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John. B

Established Member
Reaction score
Got my new lathe fettled and running, filed and polished the rest etc.

2 hp forward and reverse, Variable speeds, 0-1200 & 0-3200rpm the lower being high torque, 47" between centres, 18 diam over the bed.
The headstock can move the whole length of the bed.
All of very thick cast iron. Weighs a ton. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

Lathemodded.jpg

Lathemodded2.jpg

Very, Very pleased :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John. B :roll:

they're good arent they - my new lathe is one of those too - i just need to build a gouge rack like yours now ;)

the only thing i miss from my old lathe is having a swivelling headstock - if they included that it would be perfick - as it is i'm planning on getting a free standing tool rest and sliding the headstock to the end of the bed when i need to do big stuff.

Congts.JB that piece of equipment over here would cost Euro 1900.00 about £1600.oo just seen one today.Hope you have many years enjoyment togeather. REgards Boysie

Thank you Moose, yes it is as you say VERY GOOD :lol: :lol:
JT I think so too.
eugene, That's a heck of a price jump from here. Even better, I called Axminster in sittingbourne they said we've two in stock.
One in the showroom, one in the box in the wharehouse. So I thought 11/2 gallons of fuel will save me £49.00 delivery, I needed a new backplate for my precision chuck so I drove down there.
The one in the wharehouse turned out to be a return so I had the one in the showroom.
They discounted that to the tune of £43.00 the backplate had a couple of marks on it so he threw that in for free. That saved £39.99
With the delivery the overall saving came to £131.99
A good day! :shock: :lol: :lol: Don't cha think.....

John. B

Wooo , New , :lol:

But John , SHAVINGS I cant see any :p

Should be able to fill your new chisel rack with all sorts of shavings that close to the lathe :lol:

Do you think it will cope with all the pens :wink:

a man after my own heart , lots of money saving =D> \:D/ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

boysie39":2fxv7ov9 said:
Congts.JB that piece of equipment over here would cost Euro 1900.00 about £1600.oo just seen one today.Hope you have many years enjoyment togeather. REgards Boysie

as john says thats a hell of a price jump - over here they are a tad over 800 notes

JB - Health to enjoy!

I've been looking at upgrading my DML36 with 3 speed pulley which I bought a while back second hand to "try out" turning and then slipped down the slope.

I'm assuming this is the Axminster AWVSWL1200 which to me looks very similar to the Jet JWL-1642. The Jet seems to have slightly more power (1950 vs 1500 watts) but less capacity (both spindle length and also height over the bed). There's also a significant price difference!

One thing that put me off the Axminster was that I wanted to be able to turn the speed down to "very slow" and noted Axminster indicate the speed range is 130 - 1500rpm & 330 - 3200rpm. However, above you quote 0-1200rpm and 0-3200 rpm (and this is also backed up by the photos). Hence I was hoping you could confirm if the Axminster is actually capable of any speed between 0 and 130 rpm?

Also, is the almost £600 difference in price between these lathes only down to the power of the motor or is there something else I've missed?

Thanks,
Paul.

PaulH":hg6etsnt said:
JB - Health to enjoy!

I've been looking at upgrading my DML36 with 3 speed pulley which I bought a while back second hand to "try out" turning and then slipped down the slope.

I'm assuming this is the Axminster AWVSWL1200 which to me looks very similar to the Jet JWL-1642. The Jet seems to have slightly more power (1950 vs 1500 watts) but less capacity (both spindle length and also height over the bed). There's also a significant price difference!

One thing that put me off the Axminster was that I wanted to be able to turn the speed down to "very slow" and noted Axminster indicate the speed range is 130 - 1500rpm & 330 - 3200rpm. However, above you quote 0-1200rpm and 0-3200 rpm (and this is also backed up by the photos). Hence I was hoping you could confirm if the Axminster is actually capable of any speed between 0 and 130 rpm?

Also, is the almost £600 difference in price between these lathes only down to the power of the motor or is there something else I've missed?

Thanks,
Paul.

mines certainly very slow when turned down to minimum but its not 0 rpm - ive never measured the actual rpm so i dont know if its 130 or less than that

as far as i can tell the only difference apart from the motor and it being jet rather than axminster, is the jet has a swivelling chuck guard - but that would p me off and wind up being removed anyway

I'll go along with Moose on this.
If you turn the speed dial right down the spindle stops, arguably that's 0 turn it up the spindle begins to spin, small turn very slow spin.
IMO they are essentially the same machine with mainly cosmetic differences. The Spec on the Jet says the motor is 1950w, the Ax 1500w.
Under description the Jet says output is 1100w and 'Industrial' the AX is 'Trade' I certainly would not think it merits £597.51 more.
Uses the same frame.

Go for the AX I say :lol: :lol:

John. B

Not at this very moment, I'm engaged in trying to make an adapter for my Multistar duplex chuck.
female 33mm diam with a 3.5mm pitch and a male 25mm diam with a 2mm pitch.
haven't found anyone who supplies them so it looks like I have to make one myself :?
Trouble is for the moment my engineering lathe will only cut a pitch of 3mm.
So I have to find a bigger lathe :shock: (We shall see)

John. B

That looks a cracking lathe & a great set up you have there John.

hope you have many happy hours turning on it.

That looks to be a solid lathe John and many happy hours of fun to be had at it :D
Aren't you planning on using the end of the lathe for larger dia items though :?

Back