New Lathe - help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andycase

Established Member
Reaction score
I would really like to get myself a lathe.
Now, through the company i work for (i'm the manager), i can get decent discount on the following brands:

SIP
Sealey
and a little discount off Record Power, but not as much as the ones above.

I want to turn table legs but am more interested in giving bowls a go. I have read a little about turning the headstock and the clearance required etc.

Just wondering if there are any of the above you would recommend? I can get about 25% off the 1st 2 manufacturers and 60-90 day credit terms, so you can see why i am leaning towards them.

Can't help with the choice I'm afraid as I'm a beginner myself. I'm sure folks with experience of the brands will be along shortly.
For turning bowls etc. I would say be aware of the inboard turning capacity, and whether the ability to turn either outboard or having a swivel head is available for larger work.

Andycase":t6o2sncw said:
I would really like to get myself a lathe.
Now, through the company i work for (i'm the manager), i can get decent discount on the following brands:

SIP
Sealey
and a little discount off Record Power, but not as much as the ones above.

I want to turn table legs but am more interested in giving bowls a go. I have read a little about turning the headstock and the clearance required etc.

Just wondering if there are any of the above you would recommend? I can get about 25% off the 1st 2 manufacturers and 60-90 day credit terms, so you can see why i am leaning towards them.

The Sealey & SIP are all the same "branded " Chaiwanese machines.

I would receoomend a google on these as I bought a sealey through Amazon of all places well below list price by a margin of £200

The Axminster version comes often as a package which if it is still being offered would be a "complete" (it is never complete as you will always NEED more stuff!) set for less than list with 25% off! Here is a link to the Axi version http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ax ... rod780615/ It is currently £280 The Sealeylist price is c £480 so even with your 25% off - £120 you are still paying over the top.

My advice would be to take a step back, find the right lathe for you on the basis of needs and budget and shop around accordingly. I think the "what discount" argument will lead you astray because it is easy to give a discount on an overly inflated price.

Hope this helps. Not intended as criticism in any way

Hello

Record have this one on offer at the moment

Depends how serious you are and what money you are prepared to invest

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... 0TAILSTOCK

Its based on a British made Coronet lathe , hence the CL prefix , variable speed , swivel head , outrigger available and a stand if required

All the budget end lathes are made to a price and if you look closely most are the same lathes painted different colours

Hi
Thanks for all your replies.
Have had a price of £250.00 inc VAT for the Record Power DML305 or £380 inc VAT for the Record Power CL3-CAM with free Woodscrew chuck. Then £90.00 inc VAT for the G3 chuck.
After that it's just the tools.
I am more interested in Bowl turning etc, so was thinking about the DML305? Any thoughts?

Andycase":31mltnd7 said:
Thanks
Is 12inch poor? I was thinking that 12 inch is a fair sized bowl? Fruit bowl type size?

!2" is in my opinion modest , you will soon when the appropriate piece of timber arrives want to do bigger , Platters , Wall hangings etc , so lathe capacity should be on the list

Also when you have a lathe with a swivel head it make life so much easier when hollowing out vase's / hollow forms etc as you are not leaning over the lathe bed

I have a S.I.P. lathe with a rotating head. With it you can swivel to any angle or there is an extension that gives you a full outboard turning facility. Only problem I have found in the three years I have had it is, there is some slogger on the tail stock.
Willy.

Back