New lathe best advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thermo

Reaction score
Greetings to you all.

Up until my children were born and setting up my business i was really getting into woodturning on my cheap ferm lathe. I really enjoyed turning bowls and similar bits and pieces. Now im at a stage where im starting to get a bit more time and im keen to get back into it again. With that in mind i want to step up in terms of lathes. I have a budget of about £4-500 exc vat. Now bearing in mind im the guy that walks into a shop and buys a video recorder the day before they stop producing them, or a toyota the day before they get recalled (i dont but you get my drift!) I hoped to gain the benefit of peoples wisdom and recomendations on here. Ive been trawling the net for the last few weeks, and to be honest there is quite a range of both features and prices and quality, but little in the way of solid reviews. I have a couple in mind but id like to see what gets suggested. Im also open to getting a quality second hand one. Ideally i want to be able to turn larger bowls so a swiveling headstock is a must.

Many thanks in advance, and im sure that this question gets asked often. I did try a search but it threw up so many variables or so many old posts, i thought it may be better to start afresh.

Given your budget and requirement of a swivelling head one option is the Record CL3.
It can be upgraded to variable speed at a later date if you want to keep it but that will bring the cost to that of a CL4.

So if you think you will upgrade sooner or later then perhaps increase the initial budget and go for a CL4 from the outset.

Another option is the Axminster AW1416VS which is fixed-head, variable speed but has a very good swing of 14" over the bed which is enough for most bowls.

Thermo

There's a jet1442 in for sale on this board. Dermot wants £399 for it, which seems good value to me. They get good reviews.

Steve Blackdog":pinw3j77 said:
Thermo

There's a jet1442 in for sale on this board. Dermot wants £399 for it, which seems good value to me. They get good reviews.

It would seem to be an excellent opportunity. It is now a £1,000 lathe, well made and has the required rotating headstock

thanks guys, for the advice and the tip off. it looks just what im after.

If that's all he wants for it and it's in good nick then I'd bite his hand off for it!! I've got one and they're a cracking bit of kit!!

Cheers

Richard

Ha Ha my jet lathe has turned up courtesy of a very helpful and patient dermot and a man in a white van. I just wanted to say thanks to those that put me in the right direction. I cant wait to get it set up, i forsee many enjoyabvle hours with it.

Back