New Kreg Screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu_2

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon All

Recently bought a Kreg pocket hole jig, and an assortment of screws. Some of the screws have the original Robertson square drive, but some appeared to have a Pozi head. At first I assumed it was a mistake, but it appears to be a hybrid head, as the square drive seems to work ok.

Speaking to Workshop Heaven, it would appear this newer ‘Combi’ type will be replacing the traditional Robertson type, at least within Europe.

Think I’d prefer the originals, which they must still be producing for the Canadian market.

Cheers
Stu
Photo 17-12-2013 23 08 29.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 17-12-2013 23 08 29.jpg
    Photo 17-12-2013 23 08 29.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 417
Good afternoon/evening Stu.

Same here. I bought a Kreg jig and "some" screws from Axi some months back - I had actually had ordered a whole big box of various sized Kreg screws to go with the jig but Axi told me they were phasing Kreg out of their range (we know why now, as they are stocking a competitor instead). That's why I only got "some" screws from Axi. The Axi screws have what I understand to be the original square drive head.

As I wanted a bigger range of Kreg screws than Axi ended up supplying, with help from this Forum I eventually found out that Workshop Heaven also stock Kreg, so ordered the big box of screws from them. Just as you say, these heads are a bit different when compared with the Axi ones, but so far I've found that they work just as well as the Kreg screws I got from Axi (using the "original" Kreg square drive bits of course - I haven't tried a Pozi bit on them so far), so for me anyway, this seems to be OK.

AES

Obviously, most of the torque comes from the outer ends of the cross, but I'd still be a bit nervous of using a Pozi screwdriver in them. I use diamond bits almost exclusively in powered screwdrivers, and even they tend to wear quite a lot. the outer ends go first, but the central part keeps the driver snug in the screw head so it doesn't cam out.

The central part is missing in that design. I'd expect it to be OK-ish with a Robertson driver, but worse than normal with Pozi. The saving grace in a pocket hole context is that the screws usually don't work all that hard, so don't get really fierce torque applied to them.

You certainly couldn't use those screws just anywhere though. I've got used to using Robertson screws in awkward places as they sit on the driver so well. I think anywhere that a lot of torque was necessary, they'd just chew up.

Only an opinion though.

E.

I suspect you're right ETV.

If one sets the depth gauge on the Kreg jig correctly the screw only has to cut into a blind (undrilled) hole for the depth/thickness of the single piece of the job, not through both thicknesses.

OTH with a Pozi screw & driver, especially if driving into a workpiece without a pilot hole, one is clearly using more torque (apart from anything else the cluitch on the driver tells you that in comparison to the Kreg). And even though I buy good bits (and hand drivers) rather than the cream cheese variety, I've also seen that the outer "wings" of the driver do get rounded off after a while - eventually to the point where they just cam out of the head (so the bit/driver is then good for nothing more than the bin).

So far I've found the Kreg square drivers pretty good in that respect but have only just started using the Kreg jig and screws so will withold final judgement for a while yet. But as above, I suspect you're dead right Eric.

But being far from a woody professional, and not ever working on site, I'm speaking from very limited, home shop only experience - I suspect that the Workshop Heaven box of Kreg screws will last me a L O N G time! (BTW, I was not suggesting using a Pozi bit on those new Kreg screws on a regular basis, simply agreeing with the OP's comment - as per his pic, they do look like you MAY be able to get away with using a Pozi bit, at least in a "one off pinch" situation).

Krgds
AES

Use a Leigh Jig setting driver, and shove them in by hand. No problem if the holes are drilled to the right depth.
I am only advising mind, not telling you what I do! :mrgreen:

I bought some Kreg 'type' screws from Axminster. When I got them I realised they were the 'star-slot' type of screw, and lo and behold, I discovered the purpose of the funny looking bits, in my big set of dills 'n drivers! :lol: I think they are called Tlox or something similar. Someone will be along to let me know I guess. :)

Anyhow, they work well, and they are much cheaper than the Robertson. 'official' Kreg Screw. I have heard though that some workers just use an appropriate size cheese-head screw, which do the job perfectly. The Kreg is great for GP jobs around the shop and home.

HTH
:ho2

Re:- the first post.

FWIW I think those screws are called pozisquare.

I had a big box of drywall screws with that head, cant remember the source - they were ok with a standard pozi 2 bit but if I was trying to put a screw in where a bit more pressure was needed they would cam out very easily. Probably they are quite fine for the pocket hole usage (as mentioned your not forcing them in) but for general use their a pain in the budget deficit.

Not a new idea, I've used the Ulti-Mate screws from TP quite a lot. Same head design and they've been around for several years.

MMUK":1casa0h9 said:
Not a new idea, I've used the Ulti-Mate screws from TP quite a lot. Same head design and they've been around for several years.

Hi Steve...

But then I am an old codger who was puzzled on finding a Phillips driver in my shed a few months ago! :lol: :lol: :lol:
These screws do the job, so I'll use them up; over about twenty years maybe!

Merry Crimble :ho2

Benchwayze":2e91iiu4 said:
MMUK":2e91iiu4 said:

Hi Steve...

But then I am an old codger who was puzzled on finding a Phillips driver in my shed a few months ago! :lol: :lol: :lol:
These screws do the job, so I'll use them up; over about twenty years maybe!

Merry Crimble :ho2

It was the pozi-square screws I meant, sorry John (homer)

Having now used quite a few of these new Pozi-Square screws, I can say they're a poor compromise. Going forward, I'll certainly be considering re-stocking with the UJK screws from Axminster, or any other alternatives.

@Stu_2:

When I first got my Kreg jig & screws I was using a "funny square bit" that was in a set of no name bits that I bought somewhere. Like you I found the drive on those "square pozi" screws less than ideal when using that bit, even when using full downward force (I don't use hammer mode for screw driving).

But at the same time as buying the jig and screws from Axi (see my post of 19 Dec above) I also invested in a set of the "offical" Kreg square bits plus one fixed long bit. When I tried those the difference was enornmous - no more problems even when not using full down force.

So if you want to clear your stock of those screws you may want to invest in a couple of those Kreg bits. If Axi no longer have them try Workshop Heaven. Usual disclaimers.

HTH

AES

Afternoon AES

Thanks for that, but I'm already using the Kreg Robertson drivers, and my Kreg screws come from Workshop Heaven. Unfortunately, these hybrid screws are what Kreg now supply to them. Although do still have some old type in certain sizes, which they did send me, the new stock appear to be Pozi Square.

The Torx heads on the UJK screws from Axi are much better than these Pozi-Square heads. Unfortunately they don't do the cap head type for thinner material, but I'm sure I'll find an alternative from somewhere. :)

OK, thanks Stu_2. The relatively few of the "new square" screws I got from Wokshop Heaven seem to drive OK with tghe official Kreg bit but having used my Kreg jig relatively seldom I've been mainly using the "original, old-type" screws that I got with my original Axi order.

But even at my (very slow) rate of usage I'll need some new screws eventually (WITH the cap head) so if you do find a source please be good enough to post the source here (as Kreg seem to be completely unknown here in Switzerland I have even more problem finding them and have so far "resorted" to Internet/mail order).

Thanks in advance

Krgds
AES

Have you got the correct driver bit for the PoziSquare screws? There should be one supplied with each box. I've loads if you need one, just PM me your address and I'll post a couple down.

Thanks MMUK. I'm using the standard Kreg Robertson drivers, and WH didn't mention a different proprietary driver for the Pozi-Square. Are they different?

Stu_2":2dao0uwc said:
Thanks MMUK. I'm using the standard Kreg Robertson drivers, and WH didn't mention a different proprietary driver for the Pozi-Square. Are they different?

They are different to the normal pozi driver. PM me your address and I'll pop a couple out to you when I post some to AES :mrgreen:

Back