New iroko,aluminium site toolbox WIP Finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, heres my new site tool box build. Here is my old box, in its place in the workshop.
7a7b4a1a.jpg

3517fd23.jpg

It fits snugly in between two cupboards. Its not the lightest of boxs- weighs 36 kg :eek: The thing that always annoyed me about it was trying to find all the little tools that were burried under the bigger ones.

A new one with a drawer was the answer

Started off with a piece of aluminium bent to shape. All that was needed for me to do was to cut off the corners with a jigsaw.

e2a73087.jpg

Next thing i did was fit the handle. Recently aquired some engineering tools so this was ideal for trying them out. Turned the tubes down on the lathe and my hope was to get them welded-It wouldn't weld so had to conjure up another way.

b1e3bf5a.jpg

got the idea from seeing them used for assembling beds
235ee42f.jpg

Had to turn down the ruddy bolt head,otherwise it would have been countersinked right through the side.

Next the aluminium middle shelf was fixed. Bolted straight through the drawer runner, through the shelf then finally through the side.
e26f3102.jpg

The back was next. This had to be quite thick up top to be able to take the chisels. I machined a groove for the aluminium shelf to slot in then rebated the bottom out a little more, so i could screw the shelf up through and reduce the weight.
cac8c693.jpg

I used a whole piece of wood for the front so had to cut it in half for the top.
80f006f0.jpg

Last thing was the drawer. Thought i should practice some of what ive been reading on here, so the joints had to be dovetailed :roll: This really got my head scratching as to how i was going to get the drawer bottom in.

Here was the front joint
edae5c2c.jpg

Back joint. I had to route the groove so it nearly stuck through the pin thingy. Had to put the drawer bottom between the 2 sides slide it on the front, then spring the back open a bit to get the joints to fit. I was so relieved when the clamps were finally on and the glue was wiped off :D
408de391.jpg

Had a 6mm piece of oak veneered mdf kicking around. Was surprised at how well it matched to the iroko
e9a719fb.jpg

I was glad when it was finished. Used it for a while without the drawer as it began to drag on come the end. Sash clamp fell onto it at this stage which didn't fill me with enthusiasm to finish it :evil:
b83051a9.jpg

Heres the final pics of it loaded and in place. Its so much easier trying to find things now. Shame about the weight though...................
a3666d91.jpg

8f5817dd.jpg

Its 6 kg heavier than my old one :!: :shock:

Simon

Love the tool box, great having everything there at hand but comes at a price - gets too heavy to carry.

Lovely job though! :)

yep looks good. Looks very heavy tho!! I've got one of these on my tuit list.

Hi Simon,

Great job and a great WIP as well. I bet you're well pleased with it!! Fitting everything in is always a problem in any tool box design and then the wieght is the next problem. I think wheels are the only way forward when it gets this heavy otherwise you'll probably be contraviening the Health and Safety at Work act for heavy lifting :lol: :wink:

Richard

Good thinking! You're handle looks robust enough, so I wouldn't worry too much about the weight! :wink:

Are there any catches or anything to prevent the drawer from falling out?

Thanks for the compliments guys.
The wheel idea might be a good idea, either that or take out my lump hammer and hatchet :) Im still debating whether to cut a rectangular shape out of the bottom aluminium- maybe leave a 50mm piece all the way around? Another idea was to cut out my initials in big letters just under the handle. Willing to try anything to reduce the weight !

Olly, it hasnt got any catches at the moment. The runners have little black plastic catches built in. When the drawer is closed it clicks in place- can just about make out the black bit in the picture. Might have to add something extra if these wear loose

thanks

Simon

It's very smart but at that weight [42Kg?] I'd be worried about the longevity of those handle fixings into the aluminium ends, might elongate the holes after a while. Still at that weight I wouldn't be carrying it anyway.

Having worked the sites for many years I have built and used many of these site boxes usually from timber that was lying about at the time and as a result there life span were generally quite short maybe two years, but looking at your substantial , functional good looking box I would not imagine that you will ever have to build another one well done

Andy

Latest posts

Back