New Hegner, Workshop Tidy Up & Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One further question if I may. Mathias Wandel (see link below) talks about building his own dust extractor and Thein baffle combined. It certainly looks quite small and won't get in the way too much in my restricted shop. He also says it's quieter than a normal shop vac, though it doesn't sound very quiet on his video (that may simply be positioning of the microphone though).

Here's the link:

http://woodgears.ca/dust_collector/index.html

What do you think? Is it worthwhile me going to all the extra work of building this, and would it be quieter than the Henry (in the vid he talks about using a synchronous - brushless - motor)? Henrys are not particularly cheap here (about the same price as the Axi vac that Pete linked to).

Any advice appreciated.

Krgds & thanks in advance (and sorry for thread drift!)
AES

Blimey, that's like tool shed heaven, all white and glowing! Mine looks like tool shop hell, a nasty damp ex-summer house. I have the cheapest tools man can buy, having started woodwork just after stopping work to become a full time house husband. We decided to have someone at home to concentrate on our daughter, instead of endless breakfast and after school clubs, plus the missus earns more than I ever will. That said, I'm hankering to bring some dough in, to add to the pot (and buy better tools) so I'm going to get a part time job once my buttocks is fixed (long story, botched operation). I'm too ashamed to post a pic of my workshop, which is known in the family as The Beast. Often prefaced with f***ing.

How big is your 'shed' ? looks huge in pics, am jealous :mrgreen:
have ambitions to change my 8' x 6' shed at some point, as it is bursting at the seams, what does everyone feel is the optimum? Have friends who work in their garages, but they take so much heating in the winter, a small fan heater does fine in the wee shed, but too big and it gets very expensive

martinka":2pk7d0dk said:
Nice neat looking workshop, Pete, but how long will it stay that way? One thing though, you might just have given me the incentive to buy some cheap white paint and paint the inside of my garage. It's so dismal in there that I hate going in unless it's warm enough to have the door open and let some daylight in.

Thanks Martin :) I do like a clean bright work space, I always think I work better, and it's more welcoming when I open the door!

AES":2pk7d0dk said:
One further question if I may. Mathias Wandel (see link below) talks about building his own dust extractor and Thein baffle combined. It certainly looks quite small and won't get in the way too much in my restricted shop. He also says it's quieter than a normal shop vac, though it doesn't sound very quiet on his video (that may simply be positioning of the microphone though).

Here's the link:

http://woodgears.ca/dust_collector/index.html

What do you think? Is it worthwhile me going to all the extra work of building this, and would it be quieter than the Henry (in the vid he talks about using a synchronous - brushless - motor)? Henrys are not particularly cheap here (about the same price as the Axi vac that Pete linked to).

Any advice appreciated.

Krgds & thanks in advance (and sorry for thread drift!)
AES

Sorry I can't help AES, I wouldn't know where to start. With certain things I'd rather buy and then tackle the things I know I stand a chance of completing.

jamiecrawford":2pk7d0dk said:
Blimey, that's like tool shed heaven

Hello Jamie :) I'm nearly there. I took a few things of one of the walls last night and then noticed all the screw holes from where I've shifted stuff about, so I made some filler up, sanded,painted and then
made some new holes :D

gilljc":2pk7d0dk said:
How big is your 'shed' ? looks huge in pics, am jealous :mrgreen:
have ambitions to change my 8' x 6' shed at some point, as it is bursting at the seams, what does everyone feel is the optimum? Have friends who work in their garages, but they take so much heating in the winter, a small fan heater does fine in the wee shed, but too big and it gets very expensive

Hello Gill :) I've always called it the shed but really it's an old pillar and post garage, around 18' x 9'. It's never been below freezing in there and I had insulating boards put in the roof and walls.
With my small fan heater on it's around 16 degrees in winter. If I hadn't have built the huge cupboard on the back wall I would have loads of space, but then I'd have no where to store all the odds
and ends. I've just advertised my table saw tonight which will free up a lot of welcome space!

What an excellent workshop. I am seriously envious too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I prefer the tidy end. :D

As we've broadened the thread to workshops in general, can I just say that since we moved to Germany last October I haven't had a workshop :(

But the good news is that I'll be getting one soon. I chose the one I wanted and got the thumbs-up from the financial director of the family and got it delivered . . . in bits. The untreated planks are currently stored in the basement and we are arranging for someone to put a base down and erect it for me as I have lots of other jobs to do at present before family members start arriving for holidays.

blockhaus3.jpg

Blockhaus - Oregon.jpg

It's 4270mm x 3100mm (14ft x 10ft) with 40mm (1 1/2 in) thick walls.

Barry

Attachments

• blockhaus3.jpg
    blockhaus3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 675
  • Blockhaus - Oregon.jpg
    Blockhaus - Oregon.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 675
That'll make a beautiful workshop Barry, a reckon guests coming to stay will think that's their chalet :)

redalpha3":weu10tf3 said:
What an excellent workshop. I am seriously envious too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I prefer the tidy end. :D

With a bit of luck Pete, I'll have the other half cleaned up over the weekend. I sold the T/S last night so I'll have
lots of room to work :)

I'm in a poorly built 8'x10' at the moment. Draughty and (if I didn't keep a heater on to keep it at about 8C) damp. In the spring I'm getting a 10'x16' double door heavyweight workshop put in. I'll put insulation in, and hopefully have enough space to work without having to constantly lift pillar drill/band saw/mitre saw/lathe off their various stashing places to use them. That'll also save my bad back from getting worse as well.

PeteG":3usgegos said:
That'll make a beautiful workshop Barry, a reckon guests coming to stay will think that's their chalet :)

Ve have vays of changing their mindz :wink:

Can't have family and friends staying too long I'd never get out there.

Penny":1mjj8xeg said:
I'm in a poorly built 8'x10' at the moment. Draughty and (if I didn't keep a heater on to keep it at about 8C) damp. In the spring I'm getting a 10'x16' double door heavyweight workshop put in. I'll put insulation in, and hopefully have enough space to work without having to constantly lift pillar drill/band saw/mitre saw/lathe off their various stashing places to use them. That'll also save my bad back from getting worse as well.

Sounds as though you'll be watching the calendar too Penny. It'll be good to spread your tools out a bit and with the insulation you should get much more use out of it. I hope it all goes well.

Barry

Barry, that's a very good looking chalet. With walls that thick it looks much better quality than the ones I see in the DIY Emporia here. Hope it works out well for you.

Not that I'm in any way jealous mind - I do have the cellar (or parts of it - though IF I could take out the Nuclear Shelter it would be bigger :lol:) and anyway we don't have room in the garden for such a beast. Not flat space anyway (our house is built on the side of the valley overlooking the village below and all the flat space is pretty much taken up).

BTW Barry, (yet another thread drift, sorry) are you by any chance near Autobahn 61? I know (knew actually) Hunsruck pretty well, I used to bash up and down the A61/A5 between Neuss and Zurich in the car every weekend (but that was back in 1990).

Penny, I wish you luck with your new shop. As I'm sure you know, there's plenty of very helpful people on here who'll happily give wise advice when it comes to insulating and setting up your new shop. But be careful of your back - DAMHIKT!

Krgds
AES

AES":30ona802 said:
BTW Barry, (yet another thread drift, sorry) are you by any chance near Autobahn 61? I know (knew actually) Hunsruck pretty well, I used to bash up and down the A61/A5 between Neuss and Zurich in the car every weekend (but that was back in 1990).
AES

Yeah not too far away. We're closer to the Mosel (20 minutes) than the Rhine and are about 15 minutes away from Kastellaun :wink:

I got the chalet in the '20% off everything' New Year sale at Globus Baumarkt.

My apologies also for the thread drift :oops:

Penny":3r91k5uf said:

I bet you can't wait Penny :) Make it as comfortable as possible and you'll spend hours in there. The only advice or tip I could give is, how ever many sockets you think you'll need, double it.
I had eight doubles put in but I didn't know how many machines and electric tools I would end up with at the time. Three doubles are over the bench and I've just fitted a 4 gang serge protected
extension lead under the bench. At the moment the scroll saw and compressor are plugged in to that, and so will the extractor when I buy one. I know nothing about electrics so hopefully
everything will be OK.

No need to apologies for going off topic AES and Barry :) lets see where it takes us!

Alexam":1p29wypr said:
That's a superb job Pete, you have it well laid out and some very nice equipment.

Alex

Hello Alex :) and thank you. I'll have a couple of updates at weekend if I can keep my hands off the Hegner.

jamiecrawford":1p29wypr said:
A comparison...

Nothing wrong there Jamie. Mine was a real mess before I started organising stuff. Couldn't find things and kept moving gear off the router table on to the table saw,
and back again, and did the same with the P/T and bandsaw. Basically anything that had a flat surface. And tonight, the new bench doesn't look quite like
what it did in the photograph. But it will again...soon :)

PeteG":3pg1vmto said:
Penny":3pg1vmto said:

I bet you can't wait Penny :) Make it as comfortable as possible and you'll spend hours in there. The only advice or tip I could give is, how ever many sockets you think you'll need, double it.
I had eight doubles put in but I didn't know how many machines and electric tools I would end up with at the time. Three doubles are over the bench and I've just fitted a 4 gang serge protected
extension lead under the bench. At the moment the scroll saw and compressor are plugged in to that, and so will the extractor when I buy one. I know nothing about electrics so hopefully
everything will be OK.

Yeah, I've already learned that lesson. I have 2 doubles above the workbench and a double below. I now have a 6 gang extension for battery chargers, radio and vacuum. On some projects I'm constantly swapping plugs over and end up getting in a right tangle.

My workshop is my own little escape zone. With my physical and psychological injuries caused by military service I need to escape, but I also need to adapt my work area. My bench is higher than most people would have because bending is painful, and I also use a folding high bar stool with a back on it when I can. Trouble is, it was a cheapo one, and is slowly collapsing. I must get another. I'll make a low seat on castors for when I need to work at low level as well. And a walking stick hanger!

Penny":2pepfz3v said:
My workshop is my own little escape zone. With my physical and psychological injuries caused by military service I need to escape, but I also need to adapt my work area. My bench is higher than most people would have because bending is painful, and I also use a folding high bar stool with a back on it when I can. Trouble is, it was a cheapo one, and is slowly collapsing. I must get another. I'll make a low seat on castors for when I need to work at low level as well. And a walking stick hanger!

You deserve the best chuck and I hope your new workshop will be all you want it to be. I built my workbench so I'm not bent over when standing at it, but I have to climb on top of it if I want to change the
speed of the pillar drill. I might bring it down yet once the T/S had gone and put it on a smaller stand, it'll also give me the choice of making a fenced table top for it. I'm surprised how much I've used it
in the past three weeks, and I was very lucky Axminster had an offer at the same time I'd decided to buy one. I haven't got round to buying a stool so I've been standing at the scroll saw, and find I move my
body around the saw as much as I move the workpiece. If there were cameras in there it'd probably look as though I'm doing a little jig :)

It took a little longer than I thought but I got there :D Just a couple of small jobs putting items in one of the cupboards in plastic boxes, and then I have the extraction to sort for the
scroll saw. I nearly bought the Bendi-Hoze from Axminster with the 2 foot extension to sit in between the saw and drill, but for £60.00 I'd had thought they had adaptors/fixings
to connect it to ducting or plastic pipe. They don't, so I thought I'd go the plumbing route.

So here in piccies, I give you one clean and organised workshop :D

After selling the table saw I put the money towards a Numatic extractor. I cut a cicular base out of some plywood with the router, screwed four castors to the base which had been
hanging around since last year, and then stapled two rubber car mats from the £1.00 shop to the top.

The sanding area. Decided it was time to put a new belt and disc on while I was in the mood. I've removed a few things off this area of wall over the past year or so and it had a few screw holes,
so last week I filled, sanded and gave it a touch up. The shelves were put up for router jigs.

Last week and this week!

The bandsaw and blade storage made from a small drawer set. The drawers didn't fit anymore and the hardboard back had gone with being left under the car port.

Looking back.

I started putting my little collection of timber through the P/T on Saturday night and after a trip to the tip Sunday morning continued where I'd left off.
Our lass cleaned under the car port while I was at the tip, and by Sunday night I'd put another five bags of dust and shavings back under there.
She was smiling when she said, " "I'm going to wait until you have finished your workshop, and then I'm going to fill it full of S**t!" :D

There was four pieces I didn't get round to doing, two I'm saving until I decide what I'll use them for, and then there's these two. They are HUGE! A big piece of Sapele and Oak. The Oak is twisted and bent,
so I need to work out where is the best place to cut it on the bandsaw to get the most out of it. Already made a mess of one piece trying to cut it in to boards.

I'm now all ship shape and ready to start some proper work...Once the extraction is sorted! :D

Back