New favorite hand tool gloat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepBlue

Established Member
Reaction score
For a while now I've been after a way to mark my work. I considered burning my initials with a branding iron or trying pyrography, but with my handwriting that would be a disaster. Then I thought about making a stamp of somekind but I'm rubbish when it comes to design, so my brother's girlfriend (who is a very talented artist) kindly offered to "doodle something" for me.

A few days later she came back to me with this design based on my initials which I had made into a stamp about 2 inches in diameter, and I'm tickled pink!

IMG_0115.JPG

I then went round the house stamping everything I've ever made (but I haven't quite got the technique right yet as you can see from this next photo)

IMG_0116.JPG

So there you go, my new favorite handtool.

That's very nice. What is the overall size?

My brand is 50mm x 50mm and I'd like something smaller for turned work.

The original "doodle" was about 100mmx100mm, but for the stamp I scaled it down to 50mmx50mm.

I'm considering having a couple more made with the same design, one mahoosive one for the undersides of tables, etc, and a little diddy one for turnings and boxes.

DeepBlue":1ws71zl0 said:
The original "doodle" was about 100mmx100mm, but for the stamp I scaled it down to 50mmx50mm.

I'm considering having a couple more made with the same design, one mahoosive one for the undersides of tables, etc, and a little diddy one for turnings and boxes.
Just my personal opinion but I don't like it when I have seen the really large stamps on pieces. I would be tempted to keep the 50x50 one, even for large work, as it looks nice and discrete but big enough to be seen.

Yup, my initials are indeed TWP - I guess you can make it out :)

It all comes down to taste - I could have just stamped it in Times New Roman, but I wanted something a bit unique and special.

The stamp is made from rubber backed with foam, all from a mail order company.

I'd like to mark my stuff in a similar way to Krenov... But my hands aren't steady enough these days. So I'll let anyone who might care guess! :lol:

John

:)

Latest posts

Back