New drum chip dust extractor help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I use the small diameter pipe..65mm arrd.. directly to one of these extractors instead of using the large dia hose that usually comes with them and putting a reducer on the end?
Does anyone have a set up like that?
Concerned it may put too much pressure on the filter or concertina the pipe up?
Any brand suggestions too, although they are all about the same from whst I can figure.
Thanks

I looked into this when setting up my dust extraction and I was looking at the Axminster range but the technical info was advising not to reduce the 100 mm pipe to lower diameters . I’m certainly no expert on this but in the end I decided that 2 extraction set ups were better for me. So normal shop vac connected to a cyclone-used for all my small tools -router, sanders , etc . My bigger tools - bandsaw, t/saw router table are connected to a numatic twin motor nv750 . This can run a 100mm hose direct or has a 50mm outlet for again-smaller tools that need a bit more umph. The biggest advantage of these set ups for me is that they are both portable and can travel with me to a job if reqd .the nv 750 is also connected to a slightly larger cyclone although I do need to invest in a stronger storage container as it occasionally implodes if I block the hose. I guess it comes down to what machines you have or will have and what type of woodwork you intend doing.

Thankyou for the advice...

So I took my old sip can dust extractor with the fitted filter and paper bag and found that by using a smaller dia hose directly connected to the extractor the canister filter started collapsing.
Crushed!
The suction being restricted by the smaller diameter hose was infact too strong for the filter and paper bag.
Thinking about it, this situation would cause the motor to burn out if it was consistently used in this set up.
I tried the 100mm hose and then the smaller dia connected to that and found the 100mm hose just conertinad up.
I shall try and get some clarification from sip.
Anyone else like to comment about using a 35 mm hose directly with the drum type dust collector?

You have got machine that is designed to move large volumes of air. Restricting that flow by reducing the pipe size will be detrimental. The way to overcome your dilemma is to provide an alternative flow path in addition to your 65mm pipe. A method to do this and give some control to the setup is to fit a 100mm T at the vac suction port. Reduce the straight through branch of the T to 65mm. Fit a blast gate on the other branch. Connect the 65mm to your machine tool and start up with the gate fully open. Now gradually close the gate until you sense the vac motor speed is beginning to rise. The speed will rise because it's not doing enough work, ie, not moving enough air. So, open the gate a little bit and set it there.
You're now ready to play
Brian

Latest posts

Back