New credit card scam?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
quoted only the relevant parts

The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud Investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?'

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works - The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your card'. He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers'. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the last 3 are the Security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the last 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?'

After you say no, the caller then thanks you and states, 'Don't hesitate to call back if you do', and hangs up. You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number they already have it.

..........................................................................................................................

It is only a precise of the scam but if you want I can post the whole conversation but it follows the usual pattern but the three digit request is new to me. It enables the fraudster to then order immediately on line items with that new info. and does so quickly even if you ring back your credit card office.

Must be resurfacing again.

I have had calls from a credit card company reporting unusual activity and at my age if I got a fraud one could easy fall for that one !

DW you worry me.

NEVER NEVER NEVER give any card or bank details to any cold callers!

It can't be said enough times!

devonwoody":100fguyv said:
at my age if I got a fraud one could easy fall for that one !

Come on Woody. Don't knock yourself.
There are plenty of scumbags in life to do that for us oldsters; or in my case they can try.

John (hammer)

I had a call ''from my bank' to chase up on some unusual activity (I had just bought a computer game on-line for my daughters). They asked me to identify myself with my date of birth. I refused and said I didn't know who THEY were.

They said they quite understood, and could I look at the back of my credit card, and call the help line number on there, and just say "!you had been called up to perform a check on my transactions".

Now I'm really paranoid, and I've heard of a scam where they manage to hold the phone line open, so when you call back, its actually still them.
So I called ON ANOTHER LINE (a mobile) to the number on the card, and felt allot safer.

They confirmed they had called me, and that there had been an unusual purchase (the software).

Anyway, that's how it should work.

If they ask you to ring them back be sure to put your phone down, pick it up and make sure you have a dialing tone. If not, dial any old number in and if you get an answer you know it's a con and they have just held your line open.
Hate those people.

Ian down london way":2cieju89 said:
I had a call ''from my bank' to chase up on some unusual activity (I had just bought a computer game on-line for my daughters). They asked me to identify myself with my date of birth. I refused and said I didn't know who THEY were.

They said they quite understood, and could I look at the back of my credit card, and call the help line number on there, and just say "!you had been called up to perform a check on my transactions".

Now I'm really paranoid, and I've heard of a scam where they manage to hold the phone line open, so when you call back, its actually still them.
So I called ON ANOTHER LINE (a mobile) to the number on the card, and felt allot safer.

They confirmed they had called me, and that there had been an unusual purchase (the software).

Anyway, that's how it should work.

Top man!! And I thought I was paranoid. I like your style, Sir. =D>

1-800 number on the back of the card ? Does this scammer think I have an American credit card ? He just failed.

david123":1vyt3nhk said:
If they ask you to ring them back be sure to put your phone down, pick it up and make sure you have a dialing tone. If not, dial any old number in and if you get an answer you know it's a con and they have just held your line open.
Hate those people.

I saw on the Rip Off Britain programme on the BBC a few weeks ago that they can now simulate a dialling tone so best to call any old number first any way or use a different phone line like a mobile.

regards

Brian

Back