New Circular Saw Blade - Freud vs CMT??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I urgently require a new rip blade for my circular saw.

Does anyone have any preferences/recommendations between Freud and CMT blades??

(Can't find Perform/Dakota etc with the correct dia/bore...)

Also, will a 24T "universal" blade be OK for ripping 50mm thick pine or will I do better with a dedicated 12T rip blade.

Thanks in advance
Mike

Mike B":38tklvpk said:
Hi

I urgently require a new rip blade for my circular saw.

Does anyone have any preferences/recommendations between Freud and CMT blades??

(Can't find Perform/Dakota etc with the correct dia/bore...)

Also, will a 24T "universal" blade be OK for ripping 50mm thick pine or will I do better with a dedicated 12T rip blade.

Thanks in advance
Mike
I have no dedicated rip blades but use both Frued and CMT general purpose blades. Both make excellent blades, all the CMT I have are thin kerf.

If you see them anywhere try Gomex blades, they are not cheap, but they seem to do a very good job indeed. They seem better engineered than my Freud ones. Don't know about CMT. I guess at the end of the day any of these brands will produce a good quality cut.

Mike
You'll find both Frued and CMT make great blades. Not much between them in my experience.
A 24 tooth blade should be ok but if you have a LOT of ripping a dedicated rip blade is handy.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

I tend to use CMT blades, a 24T should be fine for ripping and is what I generally use although I do have a zero degree top bevel blade that is very good.

Just out of interest, if you are buying from Axminster the pic of the CMT 290 series is wrong as CMT have altered the design to incorporate anti kickback lobes behind each tooth, so even safer for ripping now.

Jason

Latest posts

Back