New Chuck advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
Greetings to all here. For the last twenty odd years I have been using craft supplies precision combination chuck, it not a bad bit of kit, but is often less precise than I would like, particularly with regard to holding stuff true once work commences, so I am ready to upgrade to a better 4 jaw system (unless a load of recommendations for an alternative appear).

Currently I am looking at Axminsters 100mm Clubman, before I commit to buying it though I would like to hear your views on this chuck or any others you may feel are superior.

Thanks for looking!

Kim.

My main user is an axminster precision chuck (currently not available but coming back soon I believe) I also have a 150mm Goliath version made to the same pattern as the K10.

The Goliath is not to the same standard of rigidity and mass as the precision but I have no problems with it in use and of course the extra travel of the 125mm is a real bonus when used with Cole jaws.

I can't see the K10 letting you down or not meeting your needs.

I like the Ax minster range because of the range of chuck inserts available and the fact that jaws, adaptors etc. are interchangeable between the 80-100 & 125mm chucks. (I regularly use some 80mm jaw adaptors on the 100mm because they suit my work pieces/holding preferences)

Thanks for that Chas, I have dealt with Axminster for many years and found on the whole their stuff is good, but I have come across an exception or two, nothing bad, just not as good as it should have been, good to hear these chucks are what they appear to be.

Thanks Noggsy, I will get one then, although it will be a wait, Axminster have run clean out of stock of most of the jaws!

They seem to be moving more and more of the small CNC work back to this country, which is great. It may be that they are re-tooling for the jaws as they recently did for the carriers, which were out of stock for several months.

Enjoy.

I have had two of the old axminster chucks the carlton and the supper precision for about 15 years and they are great back then they were made by toolmex but then they started making there own and I got the k10 and the k8 for my small lathe and to be honest they are not as well engineered as the old ones they work yes but the engineering with quite a lot of play on the carries to me lets them down a bit but that is just my opinion

I have had my K10 for about 10 years now with the 3 jaw set of O'Donnel jaws and wouldn't be without it. I also have the indexing ring fitted which isn't used very often, but when it is it's a really useful bit of kit.

I have the original silver coloured version and I would recommend it to anyone.

Well after a great deal of research and reading I finally settled on the Robert Sorby Patriot Chuck, it is compatible with some other Jaw Options which could be useful later, I got it with the 1" pin jaw set and the long nose 2", I think that will keep me well supplied with gripping options for a bit. The Axminster looked good but the current lack of general availability did not weigh well, plus a rather negative report about the chucks liability to corrode under damp conditions was off putting as my shed gets pretty cold in winter and condensation can be a problem, the chuck of choice was the oneway stronghold, but was outside my reach really once VAT and the cost of additional jaws came into it, an outstanding chuck by all accounts though.

Next year a new Lathe as my Coronet Elf is definitely a bit shaky, the phosphor bronze bearing is a little worn and apparently no longer available, even from Derek Pyatt. For the replacement, based on comments in here I think the Axminster AWVSWL1200D is looking favourite.

Back