Chuck jaw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WidisGuid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.
I have a TOS 100mm 4 jaw chuck and I was looking for a set of small diameter dovetail jaws to fit. Axminster's Type F seemed to fit the bill and the carriers I have but there doesn't seem to be any in stock anywhere.
Anybody got any suggestions for a suitable alternative?
Cheers
Andy

The Versachuck jaws will fit Axminster chucks and are cheaper, but the quality is not as good as Axminster's own. Fairly crudely finished and one set I bought ( a few years back) simply wouldn't fit because the mounting holes had been incorrectly drilled. At least the new distributor will probably offer nicer service than the last.

Toolpost's customer service was non existent. I was there when my friend, a GP (so not exactly daft) his father and a friend both well qualified engineers, were on the phone about a faulty backplate. They were accused of not knowing what they were talking about, despite the part being not only faulty but different to one that had already been replaced. Phil's customer service at Beaufort Ink is exemplary. I had a set of slides that were wrongly bored and they were replaced without question or return - he said there had been q.c. issues with some of the stock he'd taken over from Toolpost.

Thanks guys. All good to know. Rhossydd, I did think they looked a bit rougher finished but if they hold the wood as they should I guess they don't need to be pretty! Fully appreciate the info though and fingers crossed for no issues.
Cheers again

They're not pretty, but I'm sure they'll work OK. Subtly different dimensions to the Axminster jaws that appear similar, but no big deal. Maybe more prone to rust too if kept in a damp workshop.
Toolpost was a curious operation. Good location, amazing range of woodturning kit and the open days were excellent. It was just that the guy that ran it wasn't really suited to work in retail. With a different manager it could have been so much more successful and still been a great place to shop.

I was a customer of the Toolpost for over 20 years, going back to when it was run from Peter's garage. During those years, I bought many things from the Toolpost and on more than one occasion needed to take advantage of their customer support and I have to disagree with the comments here. Any issues I had were resolved to my satisfaction and on more than one occasion by the Toolpost going beyond what the retailer was obliged to do.

I'd suggest that if you were one of his first customers you might have got different treatment to those of us who shopped there later in the business's life.
I was a Toolpost customer from 2010 to 2018, so not one of his first customers. I found them always to be helpful, the only problems I had were with the jaw carriers for the Versachuck and these were always resolved in a friendly manner. Peter was generous with his time and advice.

Back