Precision Combination Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardAdrian

Reaction score
Please, does anyone know where to obtain parts for the Precision Combination Chuck set provided by the former Craft Supplies of Dovedale? I have broken one of the sections of the cast alloy 3 1/2" expanding dovetail collet with a sudden dig-in. Or, better still, does anyone have any spares to sell, please?

I'm sure they would have been just another importer of the same stuff....
I used to visit that shop when Ilived in S Manchester.....
There's a couple of good turning supply shops around they will prob help....
perhaps a photo wouldn't go amiss...
I suppose u may be able to get one made butthat kinda custom engineering is getting /got expensive....

I had a few metal working bits n bobs that I cant get spares for and would cost just too much time /effort to fix
so they went in the scrap bin....!!!

Please, does anyone know where to obtain parts for the Precision Combination Chuck set provided by the former Craft Supplies of Dovedale? I have broken one of the sections of the cast alloy 3 1/2" expanding dovetail collet with a sudden dig-in. Or, better still, does anyone have any spares to sell, please?
Hi Richard,

I might be able to help. So you have a picture of the piece you're looking for?

Regards
Nick

Thanks, Nick. I'm glad you might be able to help. I'm attaching a couple of photos to show back and front. The overall diameter is 3 1/2". The broken piece is missing, as a friend has it at the moment in the hope of gluing it (about which I am very sceptical!). If you care to communicate directly, my email address is [email protected] and my phone number is 01962 621851. Thanks for your concern and interest. Regards, Richard

Attachments

• 20221120_180711.jpg
    20221120_180711.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221120_180743.jpg
    20221120_180743.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm sure they would have been just another importer of the same stuff....
I used to visit that shop when Ilived in S Manchester.....
There's a couple of good turning supply shops around they will prob help....
perhaps a photo wouldn't go amiss...
I suppose u may be able to get one made butthat kinda custom engineering is getting /got expensive....

I had a few metal working bits n bobs that I cant get spares for and would cost just too much time /effort to fix
so they went in the scrap bin....!!!
Thanks for your reply. Could you give me the names of the shops near you that might be able to help, please?

Don't know if he is still in business, but Derek Pyatt from somewhere near Wolverhampton seemed to be the last supplier of stuff from the old Coronet range. And in response to an earlier comment, this chuck was actually manufactured in Sheffield; it was originally badged Hattersley and Davidson, as is mine. As far as I know, no Chinese company ever bothered to copy it. To be brutal, it was a very ingenious idea, but a bit of a pig to use!

Craft Supplies oner retired to Switzerland, name eventually passed to Turners Retreat in Harwoth owned by Sorby There is also a severed American CS Might be worth an email enquiry to Turners Retreat. They do come up very cheaply in auctions and ebay. There were a number of similar early British chucks, Multistar, Peter Child etc, all long before my time and way too complex

Last edited:
Don't know if he is still in business, but Derek Pyatt from somewhere near Wolverhampton seemed to be the last supplier of stuff from the old Coronet range. And in response to an earlier comment, this chuck was actually manufactured in Sheffield; it was originally badged Hattersley and Davidson, as is mine. As far as I know, no Chinese company ever bothered to copy it. To be brutal, it was a very ingenious idea, but a bit of a pig to use!
Thanks for this. Yes, I've found the website in question. I've kept the information, as my lathe, though labelled 'Record', actually has 'Coronet' cast into it. And I've passed the information to someone with a Coronet lathe. Looking up Hattersley and Davidson on the internet shows the origin of the Craft Supplies chuck set, which is interesting. Thanks again.

Craft Supplies oner retired to Switzerland, name eventually passed to Turners Retreat in Harwoth owned by Sorby There is also a severed American CS Might be worth an email enquiry to Turners Retreat. They do come up very cheaply in auctions and ebay. There were a number of similar early British chucks, Multistar, Peter Child etc, all long before my time and way too complex

Thanks for this information, John. Another ukworkshop contributor is kindly supplying a replacement for my broken part. But I've made a note of this for future reference.

Back