New car project on the go.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night Train

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of you may have realised that I have been a bit quiet here recently. I have been busy on another little project.

I am attempting to make an electric car and have been writing it up on the diyelectriccar.com forum.

I started out not knowing if I was going to convert or build from scratch but a chance find of a near perfect and spotless Toyota MR2 mk2 came along and decided for me.

I know some of you have your own differing views as to the environment and energy and stuff but I am not going to debate that. I just want to share a project that I am enjoying working on.

I hope you find it interesting. :)
NT

NT,

That looks like an interesting project with a lot of serious issues. I noticed on the other forum that you considered the Africar concept.....That was a great project that never got off the ground, I worked on the original prototype. What will you use for batteries ?

The Africar was really fascinating, I have the book about it. I thought it was a really simple way to make a solid car body. Intersting that you worked on it, I'd like to know more about that.

I am planning on using LiFePO4 lithium cells as they seem to be the best technology at the moment and the only the only cells that can make electric cars viable. I will leve my options pen for as long as possible as technology will improve (or get cheaper) and that could affect how I do things.

Waka, I am pretty much updating the thread on the electric car forum daily with the latest.

I have just been applying cabinet making accuracy to plotting the bolt holes on the gearbox bell housing so I can make up an adaptor plate.
To check I have got it right I am going to make the first template in ply to see if it is anywhere near right.

I think I will drill the dowel holes accurately and then drill all the bolt holes at 2mm and insert pins to see if they centre in the right places before opening them to size.

I am figuring on only needing the two dowels and the centre of the gear box primary shaft deadly accurate, the bolt holes will be clearance only.

I was wondering where you'd disappeared to! Keep us updated at the milestones, would you? This one looks very interesting...

NT. Very interested in your progress on this. Might I suggest you start a blog to either run along side the forum post or replace it. You will find a lot more public exposure to your project using a blog and additional support. It's easy to set one up at Wordpress (highly recommended).

Have you got some drawings of what the final design will look like?

ste_5150":1fdt9nnr said:
I was wondering where you'd disappeared to! Keep us updated at the milestones, would you? This one looks very interesting...
I can do, also book mark the link and pop in once in a while. Things will slow a little now as I need to earn some more money and I will be teaching again in a couple of weeks. I must be mad taking on a project like this!

wizer":1fdt9nnr said:
NT. Very interested in your progress on this. Might I suggest you start a blog to either run along side the forum post or replace it. You will find a lot more public exposure to your project using a blog and additional support. It's easy to set one up at Wordpress (highly recommended).

Have you got some drawings of what the final design will look like?
A blog? As well? I am mainly writing up the build on the US EV site, also covering it on a UK EV site and also on the MR2 club site and occasionally updating on a cycling site I use. :lol:
I may have a blog or a link to it on my website. That should be up an running in a couple of weeks.

Wizer, after considering all the design possibilites for a scratch build with wood I came across a mint Toyota MR2 mk2 with a knackered engine and so that became the donor. So it will look like an MR2, a quite one. :D

Good luck! Maybe just bump this thread with a link whenever you make some progress - would be very interested to see how this one unfolds.

Back