New bench project (yet another!)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally getting round to making a new bench - old baby bench I bought off here has served well, but need a bigger one now as the projects get bigger!

From the 2 designs face on, would 2 or 3 legs be the way to go for a 2.1m bench?
Thanks, Mark

Attachments

• bench-1.png
    bench-1.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,527
Second one - 4 legs in all. More than strong enough, simpler, cheaper .... top overhangs are also handy for clamping things ... where's the vice to go?

Thanks.

Two vices. One twin screw vice at end. Then a normal metal vice about 1/3 from the left - will put dog holes in right front leg.
Sensible?

longinthetooth":1geysyqn said:
Second one - 4 legs in all. More than strong enough, simpler, cheaper .... top overhangs are also handy for clamping things ... where's the vice to go?

And the converse- top flush to the front enables long boards to be clamped to the front edge. Horses for courses, and there is no right or wrong answer- you need to think which you are likely to require most. A sheet of something will allow you to clamp to it on a flush top, and there are many alternative ides for clamping a long board onto an overhanging top.

Depending on what you want to achieve- something purely functional, cheap as possible, or a beautiful project in itself, i would be tempted to slightly change your design slightly. If your aim is cheap as possible, quick as possible etc, I would laminate up the legs from 2 pieces of the stretcher/rail material, leaving spaces for the stretchers. Then run those straight across the legs (more like aprons but not as deep)- glue and screw.

At least you have a current bench, so you have some knowledge of what you want in the next model. Dont be tempted to make it too wide. Mine is IIRC 21 inches, and I have moved it out from the wall about 5 inches, so that i can run a router flattening jig runner along the wall. For working, I find it spot on. For assembly of large items, it could do with being a bit wider, but that said, if it was any wider i would struggle to reach the far side easily.

Your leg arrangement needs to suit your type of work and how much space there is around the bench. If you are likely to be mortising by hand, you might need the middle legs, unless you know there will always be room to use the left or right legs.

Interesting point. I was planning to have the front and back flush and then put holes in front right leg to help support long boards coming from the vice (for planing long edges). Four runs of dog holes in the top itself to put in bench hold downs - or combine dogs with the vices.....
I guess the current bench I have has an overlap for using clamps but my clamps are generally pretty big!. So I have occasionally used this way too.
On width, current bench is 60cm and I was thinking 75cm so as to still reach over but I do take your point, and it may depend on how far my wood stretches!
I have already bought the wood - beech for the top which needs to gain about 1% moisture to equilibrate with the rest of the garage (workshop!) and green external oak stretchers/legs that I got a few years back on here. The build would be largely functional but I might just might consider one of those front sliding boards - although holes in the leg is going to be rather easier! Thanks for the input

AndyT":2u2td9mj said:
Your leg arrangement needs to suit your type of work and how much space there is around the bench. If you are likely to be mortising by hand, you might need the middle legs, unless you know there will always be room to use the left or right legs.

Good points. My morticing though is not by hand - if only I was so talented! I cheat with a leigh jig or a domino. But your point is well made than an extra leg will provide a more robust area for banging - your head against as another project looks destined for the woodburner!

woof":obli6ia5 said:
an extra leg will provide a more robust area for banging - your head against as another project looks destined for the woodburner!

Forward planning. Admirable.

Back