New bench finally has a tailvice! with WIPs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Remember this thread?

Well, the tail vice has taken ages due to (paid) work getting in the way, the need for absolute accuracy in every part, some of which were quite intricate, and the new tablesaw needing to be played with.

My main concern after reading loads of bench reviews was any play or movement in the vice as I tighten it up (apparently many expensive benches have vices that lift as they tighten the dogs against the wood raising it off the bench top) - there is none and so I am chuffed to bits.
The thread is the cheap Axminster one and works very nicely - a bargain.

So, finally, here it is - the bench is now officially completed!! :D I made the DTs the same as on the end of the bench out of pure vanity although the second set are not clear in the photo for some reason. the top section is removable (screwed on) to allow access to the main nut and so i can replace the dig holes if they become worn or damaged

Only one coat of oil at present, hence lighter than rest of the bench which had more than half a dozen coats

Thanks to Philly for the photos of his tail vice assembly (some from very strange angles :wink: )

Happy to help anyone out there making one themselves, feel free to ask away

Assembly.jpg

Mounted.jpg

Used.jpg

Bloody Hell! You didn't waste any time after I left, did you? Cracking bench. =D>

Nice job. Got any more WIP photos?

Adam

With all that money in my pocket Simon, I had to get a move on so i could get to a tool shop :wink:

Loads of WIP shots Adam. Will post tonight

That looks excellent, Tony. Would be interested to see photos of how the runners and guides were done.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Well, I dug out all the WIP photos I could find and here they are

Scraped the recess for the vice square to the bench top - scraper is an awesome tool for this and I managed it get it spot on :shock:

Scraping_square_for_slide.jpg

I decided to screw a separate guide on so that i can replace it in the future if ti wears

Fixing_guide_on.jpg

Here is the front slide finished - the tongue will run in the slot in the piece I screwed on above. Cut this out on the bandsaw and with a tenon saw. Shoulder plane for final fitting

Front_slide_finished.jpg

Action shot with LA plane finishing all faces and showing the screw - I'm planing the end piece here which has another tenon on it that runs in a grove on the inside of the vice's side face

Planing_end_piece.jpg

Roughed out the handle from a beech off cut

handle_roughed_out1.jpg

And separated the end piece before turning a tenon on it and drilling hole in the cap using a forstner bit

handle_roughed_out1.jpg

Handle_ready_to_glue_up.jpg

Well, that's all I have, hope it is useful to someone

Tony,
Probably no use to me as I am unlikely to ever do anything similar, nor so well, but it is always nice to see these kind of things done - thanks for taking the time.

Have you got a workshop helper taking all those live action pics? Or are you fiddling with tripod & timer?

Andy

dedee":2vbuo8wi said:
Have you got a workshop helper taking all those live action pics? Or are you fiddling with tripod & timer?

Andy

Hi Andy

For the scraper one I used a timer, for the others I used a wife :wink:

I have been asked to take photos of myself working the wood rather than just the tools and wood etc.

Tony":1zjzqx25 said:
I have been asked to take photos of myself working the wood rather than just the tools and wood etc.
Are we supposed to believe that?? :lol: :lol:
Just joking - congrats on a great looking vise! Good to see you making some shavings,
Philly :D

Tony,

Great vice.

Surprising pictures :shock: You're much younger than I expected. Why did I assume you were an old fart :?: :wink:

Phil

Ohh! I've just re-read that. No offence meant. Honest!

Good Surname or what ?":jntc2azg said:
Surprising pictures :shock: You're much younger than I expected. Why did I assume you were an old fart :?: :wink:

How cheeky :shock: :shock: :lol:

43 in a few days :cry: But that means I need to choose a birthday prezzy from my wife (hammer) :tool:

Philly":2h0bsbcc said:
Tony":2h0bsbcc said:
Are we supposed to believe that?? :lol: :lol:

ahhh, it's the editors you see..........

Back