New bandsaw bought from a computer shop!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marku

Established Member
Reaction score
I went into our local computer shop yesterday and there was a small delta bandsaw in the back of the shop, it belonged to the owners dad who had passed away. I have a larger bandsaw at work but I have been looking for something small for the shed at home so I ended up buying it.

The question is it doesn't cut anywhere near straight I haven't ever had this problem with my bigger saw, before I spend time trying to sort it out I was wondering if anyone has any experience of these saws and if tuned up with a good blade will they cut straight. (I usually use Ian at Tuffsaws)

I am only after a saw to cut some small wood in the shed for my boys projects so it will only be very light use. Model boats etc.

The photo shows how far it is wandering off line when trying to cut straight.

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 221
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 221
I inherited the exact same bandsaw (but branded as Tyme), which sat unused for several years - as it didn't cut straight!
I decided to give it a good clean and sell it but had second thoughts when I saw they only fetched about £50.
In reassembling it and setting it up step by step it is now actually fine, even without a new blade and so they can be tuned. I now use it for small box components.
I don't have a magic bullet but would suggest you do the same, remove fence, blades, guides and table and then reassemble and set up as usual. A new blade from Ian won't do any harm.

I've been looking for that particular bandsaw since I started woodworking. For some reason I really like how they look.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with a cheap Basato 1, the only difference being my blade wander was about 100 times worse and then bits started snapping when I tried to fettle it. I almost got rid of it but thought I'd take a punt on some new guide blocks and a new blade, once tensioned correctly it cut like a dream.

Bung a new blade from Ian in.
Do as Damo suggests whilst setting the blade up.

I bet its wandering due to the set of the teeth being damaged or you are feeding too hard to compense for the worn blade.
Every time I put in a new blade I am surprised, mainly at my own stupidity for never learning the lesson

Great thanks for the advice,

I have ordered some blades so when these arrive I will take some time to set it up and see what happens.

Its a perfect size for small projects in the shed so I am looking forward to getting it running.

Mark

I had one of those, it wandered with a blunt blade, but cut very well with a new blade done up nice and tight. I've not used any other bandsaw to know what they're really capable of, but I was able to get it to cut well enough for the stuff I used it for. I used it to rough out some corbels from 3" oak blanks once, it ruined the blade, but the saw had no problems with the thickness.

Replaced mine with a much bigger Dewalt one that came up on Gumtree, but not because it wasn't very good.

Hi

I duid the same when I went to get a sealed window unit made! There was a pile of rubbish in the middle of the floor and a Record three wheeled bandsaw, I asked if it was for sale, The chap replied to the affirmative as they'd just bought a new one, I tried it uin the shop and left £30 lighter but with the saw!!

I don't have it now as I bought a Startrite so it had to go!! I put it on Ebay and sold it!

I still have a couple of the same type, A Clarke 12" abnd an old B&D that is better than I thought it would be!!

I still have the two on the left, The other was given away to a friend (y)

atool5.jpg

The old Record..

toolsbandsaw.jpg

The Startrite..

SRBS2.jpg

I really must get my shed erected so I can make room in the garage to actually make something!! :oops:

John :p

Latest posts

Back