Nest of tables

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross K

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently delivered to a customer, thought I'd share...

Mitred and biscuited solid Scottish oak with fumed oak splines. A good use of various offcuts!

P1000297.JPG

P1000300.JPG

Hey Ross,

They look really good, nice and simple ( less is more as they say ). How did you fume the Oak as it looks like it penetrated
quite deep before you cleaned them up ?

Just my opinion, how about putting the edge bevel down the outer vertical edges, so it blends nicely on the mitre.

CNC Paul":2tms54sg said:
Hey Ross,

They look really good, nice and simple ( less is more as they say ). How did you fume the Oak as it looks like it penetrated
quite deep before you cleaned them up ?

Just my opinion, how about putting the edge bevel down the outer vertical edges, so it blends nicely on the mitre.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your positive comments! I fumed the oak splines in a plastic box with a splash of ammonia in the bottom, for four days. And then let them sit for four more before using - very important if not to get "bleeding".

I thought about continuing the bevel but when stacked together (only 10mm gap all round) it looks better with crisp edges I thought.

Excellent - very crisp. I like the use of the contrasting mitres and the detailing in the chamfer work - Rob

Very smart indeed. :)

Looks like you had some trouble with tearout on that oak...? I hope the customer wasn't too concerned? :?

A very good way to use up offcuts! :wink:

They are lovely. Fantastic workmanship and great photography too. Well done.

OPJ":30xgb6tm said:
Looks like you had some trouble with tearout on that oak...? I hope the customer wasn't too concerned? :?

Olly, you pullin' me leg? No tearout probs mate. Thanks for the positive comments though apart from that! :wink:

The spline slots were cut with a router using a jig and a guide bush.

I like the design - my only minor criticism is that the pieces should have been better matched (for colour) - but you did make them out of scraps :)

Rod

These are really lovely, and very opportune as my missus asked me to make a set in this very style only last week. I haven't got round to thinking about them too much yet, but I might be stealing your splines idea if that's okay :wink:

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

No worries mate - imitation is the best form of flattery!

Actually the tables were inspired by a small splined box I saw years ago....

Let us see the results!

Ross.

Latest posts

Back