Neighbour's circular saw accident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popey

Established Member
Reaction score
One of my neighbours had a nasty accident with his circular saw a week or so ago. He was ripping some thin pieces of timber to make a trellis to save spending £18 on buying something. He ended up taking the tops off three fingers(index, middle and ring). Apparently, the finger tips were re-attached and he's now having to be driven from Swindon to Southmead hospital for rehab.
I was pretty shocked to hear about this, but not that surprised. I have seen him working with power tools on his drive with no proper means of work holding or any form of PPE. Last summer I saw him kneeling on a piece of timber while having at it with a router.

Be careful out there people!

Interesting that he is coming down here, Swindon usually gets sent to Oxford for hand injuries... My wife says that she didn’t do the operation! (consultant hand surgeon in Southmead...)

sadly it is another example which means that circular saws are high on her list of tools I can’t buy :)

One of my friends cut half off one of his fingers a few months ago, he's the type of bloke who shouldn't be let loose withy anything sharper than a pencil tbh, in this case he was outside trying to build a gazebo and cutting above his head.

I'm guessing wife has repaired far too many power tool accidents.
yup, mixture of some paediatric congenital issues, kids sporting issues, motorbike accidents, and power tool accidents...

I am no longer a young child, don’t do much in the way of sport, am too scared that I would kill myself on a motorbike, so that leaves power tools as a way of joining my wife at work :)

yup, mixture of some paediatric congenital issues, kids sporting issues, motorbike accidents, and power tool accidents...

I am no longer a young child, don’t do much in the way of sport, am too scared that I would kill myself on a motorbike, so that leaves power tools as a way of joining my wife at work :)

When SawStops become available in your neck of the woods I'll bet she pushes you kicking and screaming into the store and makes you buy one. ;)

Pete

When SawStops become available in your neck of the woods I'll bet she pushes you kicking and screaming into the store and makes you buy one. ;)

Pete
Festool do a saw with sawstop, but a bit out of my price range!
Having said that I do have a mitre saw, router, planer, etc. so plenty of opportunity for damage!

Which are more dangerous - mitre saw, table saw, circular saw or chainsaw?

Discuss!!

Cheers James

Which are more dangerous - mitre saw, table saw, circular saw or chainsaw?

Discuss!!

Cheers James
easy
chainsaw
circular saw
table saw
mitre saw

depends on natural need to move around freeform / lack of material or saw being held down / likelihood of kickback etc etc

easy
chainsaw
circular saw
table saw
mitre saw

depends on natural need to move around freeform / lack of material or saw being held down / likelihood of kickback etc etc

Yep, I’d put them in that order too.

I don’t have a table saw anymore so I’d say the most dangerous tool is the lathe (ahead of rail saw), not that it’s the most lethal, but that it’s so much easier to have an accident. Though like any tool if you practice decent safety you’re only left with accidents over stupidity induced learning.

Over the road from a place I lived at uni a guy with gloves, goggles and the biggest power drill I’d seen at the time was going through an exterior wall, it mostly amused me as his whole family was watching, when I looked closer I saw he was right above his meter box, I couldn’t get to him before the flash and bang. Thankfully he was unhurt, kids were crying though

Aidan

I would find a chainsaw very handy for cutting wood blanks, but after briefly borrowing one and looking at how much of the chain is exposed flying round I decided I could never feel comfortable using one.

But yes, I believe the two main causes of accidents are lack of understanding what you are using, and being in a hurry to get the job done.

easy
chainsaw
circular saw
table saw
mitre saw

Thats the order I'd say.
The worst scare I've had was actually on a mitre saw. Being bottom of the list probably instilled some complacency. It was the same saw I'd been using for 20 years, my respect for it was instantly reinstated. No injuries fortunately.

sadly it is another example which means that circular saws are high on her list of tools I can’t buy
Surely she must realise that it is not the tools fault but the person using it, Ok I have seen someone chased by a circular saw but that was another silly person and again the saw did not make the decision to attack.

My Sympathies to him, but you just described a Homer Simpson!

You should have met my mate who was apprenticing at the same firm I did. I actually had to convince him that hitting a Hilti Nail Gun cartridge with a hammer wouldn't be a good idea:LOL:

The worst scare I've had was actually on a mitre saw. Being bottom of the list probably instilled some complacency.
I would not try and put them in order of potential hazzard or the risk of them causing an incident, they are all more than capable of delivering life changing injuries and so treat them all with the repect they require.

Back