Need some help with restoring old flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikesDman

Reaction score
Hi guys,

new to this forum and hoping someone could offer me some advise on the issues i have with restoring my old pine (i believe?) flooring.

Starting sanding the floor down and started noticing some dark patches that haven't been as easy to remove as the rest of the floor.

Also noticed something that looks to me as traces of woodworm?

Could someone advise me on what the dark patches are and confirm if it is woodworm?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 207
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 207
Hi the easy bit first, yes that is or rather was woodworm.
As for the staining I would guess that it is a result of the floor covering either causing a damp area or spillage from a bath, leaky roof or pet.

Thanks Chrispy.

Yes before we started sanding it did look like a hug was placed over it as it was alot darker then the rest of the floor.
How do i get rid of it? if i continue sanding will it remove it? or do i need to replace the board?

Thanks once again.

I don't think you will be able to sand it out, I would be tempted to try and bleach it and see if that helps a really strong house hold bleach may just work but you will probabily have more luck with a proper wood bleach. Not sure but think oxalic acid might work for that kind of water mark.

The second pic looks like old pitch pine where the worm has eaten the sap wood, but ignored the tougher heart wood. I have seen the exact same thing on a bench i am refurbing at the moment, which has old pitch pine boards on top. I simply cut out the affected area and repaired it with a sound patch. You could lift the board, rip off the wormy edge, replace it then add a new strip of pine alongside? I like that patched repaired look, but its not to everyones taste... :D

Oxalic acid is used to bleach out stains and dark marks in wood - it's easily available and you don't need much.

It's also great for rust removal on tools if soaked in a dilute solution of it for a day or two (just make sure you neutralize with soda crystal bath after then a good rinse otherwise it will actually help to promote rust (or something - my plane blades went green, but wire wool and they seem fine and rust free after).

No help I know - but floors like this are just not suitable for sanding. They need to be in good condition and flat to start with. Best thing now might be to paint it.
What I've found to work well is a good scrub with a floor scrubber and sugar soap. When well dry apply Osmo oil or something similar. It then looks like an old floor well cared for, rather than a DIY disaster

looks like the "blueing" which can be found on new timber straight from the drying source. Even in those days. Nice floor! that is what an old original floor looks like! what about If you have no more flooring as a replacement, carefully remove the affected "blue" area and re lay it in the middle and put a rug on it? hope this helps Rodders

I disagree with you jacob as the floor can be levelled out by sanding and bad boards can be replaced.

Have tried using bleach and the marks have started to lighten up so thank you all for the advise.

i would rearrange the board but it is about 6 metre length which runs into the hall way and the rest are fine.

MikesDman":n0lfekra said:
..... the floor can be levelled out by sanding and bad boards can be replaced.
Exactly. If you don't want to replace the floor in part or wholly, best to leave well alone and not sand.

You need to embrace some of the imperfections, as someone said its part of the character.

DT

Latest posts

Back