Need a new grinding wheel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening gents.
I recently got the veritas bench grinding rest ect, the grinder I have is a record power. I set it all up this evening but the standard (dark grey) wheel is obviously a standard rubbish one that seem to heat up the tools so quickly and I burn my test chisel.
What wheel would anyone suggest?
The wheel is for primary grinding so needs to be course ect

Thanks in advance

TT

For chisels, plane irons etc you need a "white" wheel. I bought mine from Abtec on the advice of someone on here (apologies, I forget who)

Been looking here and the pink one looks good. What you guys think.
The diamon one look awesome but a bit pricy.
The amount I've spent on the veritas grinding bits and the grinder itself i should of got the pro edge :(
So what wheel..
Thinking the pink one..

TT

Cheap grey wheels work fine, they just have to be dressed more often. The pink and white wheels are nothing special, they're just more friable and keep you from having to dress the wheel yourself as often. If you have the manual dexterity to hold a diamond dresser to a running wheel then you're fine with an inexpensive coarse grey wheel. A dressed coarse grey wheel runs just as cool. All dry grinding will burn an edge if you are ham-fisted and don't watch what you're doing. Always quench in water unless you refresh your hollows frequently and doing so only requires a few passes (a pretty good idea frankly).

Unless your tool is badly nicked, you never grind to the edge anyway. The wheel plays virtually no role in the quality of a cutting edge; it never touches it. A hollow grind is essentially nothing more than a built-in honing jig. You don't need to spend a bunch of money on a wheel whose purpose is to form a hollow behind the edge and in front of the heel of the beveled side of a cutting tool. There is no operation in woodworking as simple and achievable at very low cost.

Hi Toby

There are a wide array of wheels available - it partly comes down to what you wish to spend.

For many years I was happy with a 46 grit white Norton in a 6" grinder, which I then used again in an 8" grinder (same type but larger wheel). I tried the Norton 3X also in 46 grit, which was very friable and did grind cooler, but was exceptionally messy (spewed dust everywhere and wore rapidly). I stuck with the white Norton. Incidentally, in these wheels 36 or 46 grit is the go.

Recently I purchased CBN wheels, a 80 grit for shaping steel and a 180 grit for the majority of hollow grinding (CBN wheels have been around a long time but seem to have been better known to turners). These are not cheap. However they both speed up honing (by creating a straight, clean grind) and run cooler than anything out there (outside a Tormek). Importantly for me, they grind without all the dust from the more traditional wheels. You do not need to cool the blade in water if you use a light touch. Importantly, they do not wear out, have no vibration, and require minimal upkeep. For grinding, the 180 grit is all one needs.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks guys some really helpful advice.
I will get the pink wheel I think aswell as a diamond dressing stone (the one on the stick :)
I think I need to learn how to use the veritas sharpening jigg a bit better.
Most likely my setup wasn't right.

I'll get some shop time tomorrow and have a play gain and see how I do. I've never dressed my stone yet so maby I should do that before I put my good tools to the wheel.

Going to buy the skew jigg aswell
Again thank you all.
All the best
TT

Back