Need a little help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Londoner100

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I have 3 old window sills in the garage that I would like to try and turn into usable timber. The wood is a hardwood (not sure which type) and is around 90 years old. I would like to try and turn these into 1/2 inch boards and wonder if anyone in the West London area has a bandsaw that I could have acess to? I have 3 boards around 5ft each and I would donate 2 of them to any one that could help. If not does anyone know of a good timber yard that would do this (for a reasonable price?)

all the best Ian

Before anyone will consider cutting reclaimed timber they need to be sure there is no steel or stone in it as it will ruin the blade.So wire brush down for grit etc and metal detect any one with suitable machines would then be able to help.

Hi Ian,
I'm not in West London (just the opposite actually), but if you can get them over to me I'd be happy to slice them up for you. You say they are 5' long, but what are the other dimensions of the boards, about 10"x2"?
Like Old says, they'll need to be brushed or belt sanded first and carefully inspected to avoid unpleasant surprises.

...Unless you have one of Dragon's M42 blades, which appear to cut through metal as if it was softwood! :shock: :wink:

OPJ":1urey2bo said:
...Unless you have one of Dragon's M42 blades, which appear to cut through metal as if it was softwood! :shock: :wink:

I do actually, but I can't say I'm desperate to try that out - they aint the cheapest blades around (although very well priced for how good they are :wink: )
I also have one of Ian's 1" ripper blades, if you think the M42 slices well you should see that baby go. :shock:

Mark thanks for the offer that sounds perfect. I am off work for 2 weeks now so weather pemitting I will get the belt sander on them and get back to you. The sills are 6 1/2 inch wide and 3 inch high at the widest point going to 2 inch at the lowest.

all the best Ian

Hi Ian
I've just noticed your post.
You don't say where in West London but I'm in Ealing if that would help save you some petrol in place of Mark's kind offer.
BS350 so should be ok.

Toby

Toby even better I am in Northolt, so only about 20 minutes away. Many thanks for the offer I am just waiting on the weather so I can get the belt sander on them.

cheers Ian

Back