NBG Wales Weekend of Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
This coming weekend is the National Botanical Gardens "Weekend of Wood"

http://www.gardenofwales.org.uk/news/special-weekend-devoted-to-wood/

I was a bit surprised to see a picture of me colouring a bowl on the webpage! I'll be back with Terry Smart of Chestnut Products again this year doing similar things (colouring, finishing etc) so if you happen to be there and pass by do please say hello!

Well done Kim, you obviously made a noteworthy impression.
Hope you have a warmer time this year and don't have to fight too much condensation.

Now all you've got to do is top last years display and performance :lol: .

Unfortunately just a bit too far for a day out for me these days. :(

Would like to be there but too far to go :(

Could somebody who goes please upload some pictures particularly of the lovespoon carvers (hammer) Hope you have a great day out. It's worth going just to see the construction of that fantastic greenhouse.

Regards Keith

Thanks Chas! If I do as well as last year I'll be happy. I met Les for the first time last year, a really delightful man, I enjoyed spending some time with him and am looking forward to seeing him again this weekend, it's his lathe and chuck I am using too!

a very enjoyable few hours and great to meet and chat with you kim, the finish on your pieces was inspiring and something I will have to try and match, also picked up a few tips during our chat, I could have spent all day there speaking to different exhibitors, there was also some very cheap tools on offer at one stand both new and used

A bit smaller than a couple of years ago I thought (the main hall setup was much the same, but the theatre part was just in the entrance lobby), but none the worse for that. Spent a few enjoyable hours talking to various vendors and demonstrators, learned a few things, bought a few 'nice to have' items and a couple of lovely bits of wood. Someone mentioned other wood shows there besides the January one, anyone know anything about that ?

It was a very enjoyable weekend, probably a bit quieter than last year but still good, very nice to meet you Ian and Nathan too also (please excuse my appalling memory) the other guy I met last year!!
Lot's of people stopped and looked over the display and I had plenty of lively chats about the spirit stains and finishes, and a very good time working with Terry again.

Here's a quick shot of the Table with my wife Jen manning the fort, Terry in the background (hopefully making a sale!)

12495037_10207497186701836_7752960261603955450_n.jpg

Nice photograph but doesn't do things justice. That coloured hollow vessel on the green cloth nearest the camera was absolutely stunning.

K

graduate_owner":syltuai9 said:
Nice photograph but doesn't do things justice. That coloured hollow vessel on the green cloth nearest the camera was absolutely stunning.

K
I will second that I didn't want to put it down, You must have made a few sales by the time I got there as I am sure some of those pieces were missing

ianedge":1otgmtav said:
graduate_owner":1otgmtav said:

K
I will second that I didn't want to put it down, You must have made a few sales by the time I got there as I am sure some of those pieces were missing

Not a thing Ian, I still have everything! :)

That could be the case for sure Keith, not that I am overly bothered, I never really expected to sell more that an item or two and only then if it was pretty busy, but the numbers seemed a little less, plus the majority of visitors are crafts people rather than those coming to, say a craft fair, so are more inclined to purchase the kit rather than the product of craft. That really is the nature of the show and I am fine with that, I'll have other opportunities later in the year no doubt. As it was I enjoyed a fine weekend and did a great deal of talking about the stuff I do, I actually quite enjoy that! :)

Such a shame it is always held at the coldest time of year. The road outside my ( rural) house was positively lethal until after lunch so I didn't get there until after 2.00 and it closed at 4:30. Very enjoyable nonetheless.

K

Back