Narex paring chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RB61

Reaction score
Has anyone gained any experience with Narex paring chisels? I have not been able to find any reviews. It appears as if they are not even available from the usual suspects in North America.

They are available through Workshop Heaven- sorry, I guess I am not allowed to post links

Thanks,

Ray

You might like to contact Peter Sefton. Talking to him recently at his Tools Day he regarded the steel in them to be very good.
I know he rehandles them etc. as a customer service.
Narex Chisels

Posting links will be possible after you have 3+ posts (spam trap)

I bought some off Mathew at Workshop Heaven for a school I was teaching at last year. The handles are a bit ugly (to be expected at the price), but they are excellent chisels nevertheless and very good value.

The paring chisels are a new product and if they are as good as the other Narex chisels they shouldn't be to shabby. I agree the handles are not to my taste even the newer handles. I re-handled my Narex mortise chisels with Burbinga handles from the Ashley Iles catalogue (the old mark one's), they now compliment my Ashley Iles mkII bevel edge chisels.

Like Chas says, Peter Sefton over at www.peterseftontoolshop.com is selling re-handles Narex chisels, but not currently the new paring chisel. If your interested in the new paring chisel with an alternative handle drop Peter an email and see if he can supply them. Peter might even reply directly if he see's the topic.

If you wait till tomorrow you will get 12% off from Mathews (Workshop Heaven) in his Christmas promotion.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your message. I couldn't get the reply to go without bouncing back for some reason so - here's the initial reaction you asked for.

Yes, they're beautiful, just a little flex in the blade, nicely bevelled and substantially flatter than many of the other carbon steel paring chisels I've seen. I've only prepared three so far, the broader one needed a little bit of hollowing but the others were both sweet as a nut - very slightly (like microns) hollow so that the underside of the edge touches the stone.

When I first learned about the Narex hardening method my first thought was that it would be a very good way to make a paring chisel. They are nicely weighted and proportioned and, as usual, very good value.

Been a while since we did a passaround if anyone fancies it?

matthewwh":2alql9ne said:
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your message. I couldn't get the reply to go without bouncing back for some reason so - here's the initial reaction you asked for.

Yes, they're beautiful, just a little flex in the blade, nicely bevelled and substantially flatter than many of the other carbon steel paring chisels I've seen. I've only prepared three so far, the broader one needed a little bit of hollowing but the others were both sweet as a nut - very slightly (like microns) hollow so that the underside of the edge touches the stone.

When I first learned about the Narex hardening method my first thought was that it would be a very good way to make a paring chisel. They are nicely weighted and proportioned and, as usual, very good value.

Been a while since we did a passaround if anyone fancies it?

Thanks for the reply and potentially very good news. I look forward to hearing how they perform.

Any idea as to cost of shipping a set to US 55311?

Hi Ray,

Our shipping is calculated automatically for each order based on the weight of the goods, the system also automatically removes the 20% UK sales tax. A good rule of thumb is that one pretty much cancels out the other so if you multiply the price shown by the exchange rate you get (roughly) the price in dollars delivered. If we know of a stockist in your country who could supply and support your purchase more locally we will point you in their direction - I'd be surprised if they are not in the next Lee Valley catalogue.

In the case of a 1" paring chisel Standard airmail is £7.30 and you save £5 VAT off the price shown, making a total of £32.50 or $52.34 at todays rate. The site will pre-select international courier but if your order is under the 2kg/4.4lb weight limit for airmail you will get the option to choose from several individually priced services on the following page.

Latest posts

Back