Nails for use with oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
I know raw mild steel nails will stain oak but what about alternatives?

Is it OK to use galvanised or sheradised or bright zinc plated steel instead?

I have located a supplier of brass nails but yet to find any stainless ones for sale.

TIA

Bob

Traditionally copper but as in our modern age in limited sizes. Zinc will break down eventually under the oak tannin. Depends on the use

Thanks for the info gents.

The application is to secure trim on an external door that is located under a veranda so it will never get wet. It it also in SW France so much drier than here.

Although sitebox have a section for SS panel pins it appears empty but their postage charge is a bit OTT for a few panel pins.

Maybe I'll try and get some copper hardboard pins locally or stick with galvanised pins which given the location are not likely to break down.
The job will be stained quite darkly and varnished anyway.

Bob

If it is just a few SS panel pins you are after, Wickes stock them which avoids the p&p issue.

I would just add that the main reason for using SS is not the staining issue (important as that is), but because the tannin in the oak will "rot" mild steel away in fairly short order.

Mike

Back