Mystery tool.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scockram

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all

So I've got two questions this evening! Here's the first.

I picked these pair of what I thought were secateurs up from a car booster recently. I've just looked at them again and now wondering if they're actually some kind of scissors instead, maybe for some special application. Any ideas?

They're a lovely piece of work. Solid steel, apart from the leather closing strap. They look like top quality, with some nice touches, like the knurled handles. I'd be interested to know the age of them. I thought antique originally, but the leather is still completely sound so maybe not. The only marking is
FRCOL ITALY. Google is of no help. Anyone heard of this make before?

PXL_20230726_203031131.jpg
PXL_20230726_203127356.jpg
PXL_20230726_204155379.jpg

They do look almost identical to old fashioned secateurs.

Is it for something more refined in the garden? Topiary wok or dead heading small flowers?
Yep I had similar thoughts about something refined. Bonsai snipping I speculated, though that wouldn't quite make sense as they're Italian.

Look like tin snips to me
I think they're too delicate for that.

I was going give them a quick tickle up as they're not very sharp, though still cut well, but I couldn't ascertain the angle with my dodgy eyes. It looked to be only a bit more than 90 degrees. Maybe that gives a clue to their usage?

Evening all

So I've got two questions this evening! Here's the first.

I picked these pair of what I thought were secateurs up from a car booster recently. I've just looked at them again and now wondering if they're actually some kind of scissors instead, maybe for some special application. Any ideas?

They're a lovely piece of work. Solid steel, apart from the leather closing strap. They look like top quality, with some nice touches, like the knurled handles. I'd be interested to know the age of them. I thought antique originally, but the leather is still completely sound so maybe not. The only marking is
FRCOL ITALY. Google is of no help. Anyone heard of this make before?

View attachment 163438View attachment 163439View attachment 163440
They almost look like in Snips ???

The clue is in the bevel angle. If you say it's almost 90 degrees then it's made for cutting very thin metal. Maybe not so much tin snips but possibly copper or brass snips.

Back