Mystery Lathe.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one superb program you have written! We are not worthy! 👏😎
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - It caused me a few headaches until I really got my head around transposing the initial involute plot to the correct location of the tooth flank - and then to the next tooth location on each side. I stopped at one each side !!

If you'd like a copy send me a PM.
Not had much chance to do much work on things the last few days but I have managed to source a 100T change wheel, £15 + p&p. Pretty reasonable considering a Mehanite blank would probably cost as much.
That sounds like a good price - I'm sure you'll find it useful for more than the initial job. I still don't have a full set (each tooth count) though I have made some Primes (37, 41, 53) and 'difficult' counts on my CNC machine as and when the need arose.
The lathe does appear to have had 2 different folk working on it. The tailstock has features that are different to the main part and I suspect a later modification or addition. My main job now will be to make a thread dial indicator for the Myford to assist in cutting the quirky threads.
I wouldn't consider any size you've mentioned yet to be 'quirky' -- I'd reserve such description for things like Löenhertz, Thury, etc. - or even Metric N series - certainly not ME. I'm sure you'll be familiar with Waltham, Pendant & Button thread series. That's the beauty of 'Standards' - there are just so many to choose from :ROFLMAO:

Can you not get a ready made Dial Indicator - - - - - I've checked the Bay... Ouch - silly money for the ML7/S7 and I'm not sure they will fit the M10 but suspect that they will. The other option is to always keep the leadscrew engaged and reverse far enough back to clear any backlash.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: - It caused me a few headaches until I really got my head around transposing the initial involute plot to the correct location of the tooth flank - and then to the next tooth location on each side. I stopped at one each side !!

If you'd like a copy send me a PM.

That sounds like a good price - I'm sure you'll find it useful for more than the initial job. I still don't have a full set (each tooth count) though I have made some Primes (37, 41, 53) and 'difficult' counts on my CNC machine as and when the need arose.

I wouldn't consider any size you've mentioned yet to be 'quirky' -- I'd reserve such description for things like Löenhertz, Thury, etc. - or even Metric N series - certainly not ME. I'm sure you'll be familiar with Waltham, Pendant & Button thread series. That's the beauty of 'Standards' - there are just so many to choose from :ROFLMAO:

Can you not get a ready made Dial Indicator - - - - - I've checked the Bay... Ouch - silly money for the ML7/S7 and I'm not sure they will fit the M10 but suspect that they will. The other option is to always keep the leadscrew engaged and reverse far enough back to clear any backlash.
Have looked on Evil bay for a thread dial indicator but they are pretty expensive and the single bolt fitting for an ML7 type isn't suitable. The ML10 I have has two 5/32 BSW tapped holes to fit it onto. The job is fairly simple and it should be possible to make one from some old tube tent poles and a bit of silver solder. The interesting bit will be a 5mm spindle through the vertical tube to keep the gear wheel (16T courtesy of Mr Leggo 😁) in alignment with the lead screw and fix the top rotating indicator.

Im also gathering bits for a simple shadowgraph as a separate project utilising a redundant 55mm camera lens and may take you up on the kind offer of your program. I hope you realise its value, you really need to either protect your intellectual property or, alternatively, translate it (or collaborate with someone else) and get it on open source via Linux.

Re quirky threads, antique French clocks are interesting. The old French inch was roughly 1 and 1/16 imperial inches, usually dived into 12 lignes.

I've had a busy week so only just had a chance to review this forum.
Have looked on Evil bay for a thread dial indicator but they are pretty expensive and the single bolt fitting for an ML7 type isn't suitable. The ML10 I have has two 5/32 BSW tapped holes to fit it onto. The job is fairly simple and it should be possible to make one from some old tube tent poles and a bit of silver solder. The interesting bit will be a 5mm spindle through the vertical tube to keep the gear wheel (16T courtesy of Mr Leggo 😁) in alignment with the lead screw and fix the top rotating indicator.
My concern over 'Mr Lego's' product is how well it will stand up to contact with the steel lead-screw. The whole point about the dial indicator is to circumvent the issue of backlash but if the gear is wearing then it has its own inbuilt problem in that respect. I'm sure it will do the job but it would be as well to keep a watchfull eye on it.
Im also gathering bits for a simple shadowgraph as a separate project utilising a redundant 55mm camera lens
I 're-purposed' an old 35mm slide projector which I bought on eBay for 99p delivered (only bid!) - I stripped the slide carrier out and built a micrometer adjustable (left/right, up/down) platform to hold the 'target'. over about 5m throw I got a 50:1 image.
and may take you up on the kind offer of your program. I hope you realise its value, you really need to either protect your intellectual property or, alternatively, translate it (or collaborate with someone else) and get it on open source via Linux.
Hmm.. I have a couple of programs (including this one) running under 'WINE' (I don't have a Linux box) the only 'issue' that I've seen is that the text for some titles seem a little too large and therefore excede the space allocated. It's too little a consequence to bother about.

I have developed a [Registration] algorithm which I added to a thread measuring program but that seems to be concidered 'cumbersome' - it only asked for an e-mail to me requesting registration and I then sent a code which set the expiry date to 31/12/9999 - effectively making it never expire.

I'll create a folder on my web-site and send you a PM with the details ( I assume that you have - or can get 'WINE').
Re quirky threads, antique French clocks are interesting. The old French inch was roughly 1 and 1/16 imperial inches, usually dived into 12 lignes.
Not only antique French clocks. The Ligne is still used by Watch-makers and Hat-ribbon makers. The term is also used by Button makers but that is a much smaller unit = 1/40" (0.635mm)

Last edited:
Back