myford planer ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilyweely

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to purchase a Myford planer; 6" cut, all cast iron. I can get it cheap, and it is single phase and in GWO.

Anyone know anything about it? Is it something I want? I have a surface planer (SIP) and a thicknesser. Does anyone know anything about them? I haven't seen it yet, so am buying a bit blind, but at the price I am paying I can take a bit of a risk.

Help, please? I didn't even know they did a dedicated planer!

Cheers

Neil

I have a Planer and saw attachment (which I have never used) for my ML8.

A search on Tony Griffiths? lathe site does not reveal anything?

Sorry

Rod

Harbo

I believe from what the fella has told me, that the planer is a standalone unit, not requiring a lathe to run it.

I hope so anyway, as I don't have a myford lathe!!

I am gonna go look tomorrow morning, if it is what I think it is and I can get it for a hundred quid then I should get it, right?

Thanks Harbo.

Neil

OK, the fella has specified it as a Myford planer, single phase, 6 " planer in good working order. Is the attachment you have a 6"?

I have been aware of the ML8 for some time. In fact I sorted an attachment out for a friend of mines the other day (it was on the brochure you linked to, the steady thing - I think it is more for metal work than anything else, isn't it?) but am now thinking I might quite like one myself. I do have a couple of lathes, that I really do not use enough to do them justice, but the myford is such a legendary bit of kit that I feel I am missing out!!

So, Harbo; is it something you would consider recommending yourself? Do they deserve the worship they get? If this planer is an attachment for a ML8 I might consider it anyway.

Does anyone else know of a dedicated Myford planer?

Harbo, thanks as always.

Neil

Neil

I have never used it as it seemed a bit of a fad to attach it all - though I stand to be corrected?
I think I read somewhere that it had it's limitations - the bed length for one?
Again I read this a long time ago - I think mine will plane up to 4.5"
They also used to sell a Mortising attachment, a metal working compound slide and a Thicknessing attachment - I have never seen these though?

If yours will do 6" sounds like a stand alone and probably very rare?

Rod

OK, just got it home. It weighs a ton, is all CI and is in lovely condition. I think I was lucky to get it really, for the money I did. It makes you realise just how poorly made my SIP is in comparison. The SIP is cast iron (well, the bed is) but this thing is ALL cast iron. It is free standing, with a 6" cut and a nice motor hidden underneath in a hefty stand. It positively purrs along.

I think I will put it up for sale on E-bay. TBH I really don't think I will get enough use from it. Trouble is I cannot get any info on it at all - google reveals nothing about a dedicated planer, just the ML8 attachments.

Again, thanks to Harbo for all your help, and a plea to others for any info on a Myford planer.

Neil

Blimey - didn't even consider it. Will do.

Thanks a lot Harbo. I'll post some pics of it at some point, in this thread.

Cheers again

Neil

i had one of these built with a small motor on a timber stand. mine was identical but i dont think it was 6 inch cut though, 5 i think. it was a well made item but if you already have a modern pt this will be small and a bit cranky really. the thickneser is manual feed overhand and really a bit dodgy to use, and the tables are very small even with the roller. it has three knives i think. i sold mine to an old chap for £100 it was fine for what he wanted it for but for preparing wood even for a serious hobbiest was a waste of time.

This is just a surface planer, is certainly a 6" cut, and is far better build quality than the SIP cast iron planer and the Record.

Overhand thicknessing? Lost me. Isn't that a surface planer?

I'll try and find my camera. TBH I think I will keep this one till I have the new WS built, as I will have more floor space then and can give myself a corner dedicated to planing. ATM all my floor space is taken up with the benches and the bandsaw. The new WS will treble the available space, so I should be OK then.

My friend, a 'myford man' is gonna clean her up for me and help me mount the whole kaboodle on some castors as it is a PITA to move right now.

Anyways, best wishes

Neil

This may be the ML11. I had one of these a few years back. I wrote to Myford, who were kind enough to to send an instruction sheet, with suitable motor speeds, and a full spares list. wish I still had it. Rick.

neilyweely":1fyehz52 said:
I am about to purchase a Myford planer; 6" cut, all cast iron. I can get it cheap, and it is single phase and in GWO.

Anyone know anything about it? Is it something I want? I have a surface planer (SIP) and a thicknesser. Does anyone know anything about them? I haven't seen it yet, so am buying a bit blind, but at the price I am paying I can take a bit of a risk.

Help, please? I didn't even know they did a dedicated planer!

Cheers

Neil

Hi,
It could be the Myford Pr11. Did you get it in the end.
I have one.
Let me know.
Petet

Back