Myford ml8

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haggisterrier

Reaction score
Hi looking for some information on buying a replacement shaft for my lathe, it's a Myford ml8 that i purchased about a month ago, it's the late model which came out as the advanced woodworker with the planer attachment and also the saw bench attachment plus a compound slide for metalwork, there's a small amount of play in the shaft along with movement between the drive pulley and shaft so suspect that some time in it life the 2 small grub screws in the pulley have been slack and therefore their not gripping as they should I've tried to tighten them but don't want to over do it incase I strip the thread in the aluminium pulley, any information or links too suppliers that may have the shaft as new or possibly new old stock would be much appreciated
Thanks

Replacing the shaft or bearings on the ML8 is a right pig of a job, and an expensive one. I've never done it myself but the machine I've got has had the bearings replaced at some point at great expense.

Parts appear often enough for these on eBay as the parts are worth more than the actual machines for the time being, so if you keep an eye out you'll find a new shaft. Unfortunately one ended on eBay the other day https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headstock-spindle-collar-Myford-ML8

I've actually got a spare full headstock in very good nick if that's of any interest.

Been speaking to someone this morning about the issues, I'm just going to remove the shaft and recut the locations for the grub screws, I've found a local company nearby in Aberdeen that can supply bearings as per the original spec or supply sealed bearings to suit hopefully, I did find a seller on an eBay shop that has a new shaft and bearings but it's priced at £1200.00,

Back