Myford ML8 Bearings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeeMan

Reaction score
Has anyone who has/or had an ML8 replaced the spindle bearings with Taper Roller Bearings??

Interested in any comments posted.

Are you looking to replace your bearing with taper roller bearings? Not sure why you would what to as the bearings in the ML8 are suitable for everything you could do with it.

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that? When I bought my lathe in 1976, I also owned a Ford Cortina. The bearings on the ML8 are bigger than the front wheel bearings of the Cortina so they are more than solid enough for anything the lathe can do.

The bearings originally fitted to my lather are RHP thrust bearings codes MJT-1 and MJT-1 1/8. A pair of new ones today will cost you more in cash terms than I paid for the lathe. They are easy enough to swap but you do need a tool to drift the housings out of the headstock squarely.

If you need to remove the spindle, make a wooden ring to go between the outboard bearing housing and the inner ring of the bearing, so the inner ring can't move outwards with the spindle - otherwise the bearing can become very noisy.

Keep them well lubricated with light hydraulic oil and they are very reliable and long lasting.

+1 for the above comments.

The angular contact ball bearing races in the ML8 behave similarly to taper roller bearings in that they are designed to resist pressure on the end of the spindle.

Jon

I'm not sure why you'd want to do that? When I bought my lathe in 1976, I also owned a Ford Cortina. The bearings on the ML8 are bigger than the front wheel bearings of the Cortina so they are more than solid enough for anything the lathe can do.

The bearings originally fitted to my lather are RHP thrust bearings codes MJT-1 and MJT-1 1/8. A pair of new ones today will cost you more in cash terms than I paid for the lathe. They are easy enough to swap but you do need a tool to drift the housings out of the headstock squarely.

If you need to remove the spindle, make a wooden ring to go between the outboard bearing housing and the inner ring of the bearing, so the inner ring can't move outwards with the spindle - otherwise the bearing can become very noisy.

Keep them well lubricated with light hydraulic oil and they are very reliable and long lasting.
I would really appreciate more details of your comments please. I have taken the spindle and now the bearings are very noisy. So much so I don't want to run the lathe. I plan to remove the spindle again, so if you can help with details or photos of the wooden rings etc I would be grateful. Thanks.

Back