My Timber Storage Solution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDudester

Established Member
Reaction score
After having problems with timber falling off my current storage solution (pic below, there is now a lot more timber now), I have decided to build something that would allow me to store long boards and small pieces safely.

Based on an idea in "The Home Workshop" by the editors of Woodsmith magazine , I am going to build a floor to ceiling rack, allowing me to store what I have in an organised and safe way.

As well as being able to store long boards and small pieces, it also can store small sheet panel offcuts, and depending on the height of the shelf supports, could allow you to store 8'x4' sheets underneath or other equipment if necessary.

I ordered the timber yesterday which shoudl arrive at some point today. I will post picturs of, hopefully the finished rack later today.

On the subject of the book, I would wholeheartedly recommend it It contains detailed designs and instructions for 12 different projects. the design for this tool cabinet came from it, if that iwasn't validation enough :lol:

IMG_2206.jpg

Regards

D

This is where I am after today. I built the frame using 4"x"2 and 1/2" plywood for the stretchers. The bottom plate has coach screws underneath each upright to help with levelling. The top of the frame is fixed to a ceiling joist.

I haven't fixed the lower part to amything yet as the wall brick covered with only plasterboard.

In the picture you can see how pieces of board and small lengths can be stored. I will need to use sring or bungies to stop the boatfd if the fall forward. There will be three shelves above.

I've yet to decide whether I am going to use standards and shelf supports or some kind of dowel/metal rod. I don't know where I could get any 1/2" metal rod so if anyone as any suggestions I would appreciate it.

I will be able to store full size sheets underneath, longways and wll probably get something that will allow me to move them around easily.

IMG_2299.jpg

D

I'm really liking this idea now, although I admit I wasn't quite sure of what you were intending to do until you posted this photo. :)

What someone has done before (might have been waterhead37?) is to build a triangular-shaped section and hinge it off once end so that it swings out to give easy access. Maybe you could build something similar to hinge on to the front of this? And keep all the smaller offcuts tidily hidden behind it?

Looking good. Interested to see the final result. I think he only thing that's going to work for me is high level shelving, as my wall space is pretty much used up. I did see this in the latest shopnotes:

Might work, not sure.

OPJ":36ot751i said:
I'm really liking this idea now, although I admit I wasn't quite sure of what you were intending to do until you posted this photo. :)

What someone has done before (might have been waterhead37?) is to build a triangular-shaped section and hinge it off once end so that it swings out to give easy access. Maybe you could build something similar to hinge on to the front of this? And keep all the smaller offcuts tidily hidden behind it?

The plans I have, show an additional section for handling larger panels. You could hinge it at the far end and let it run on wheels to help with loading in my case. Alternatively you could build something than runs on four wheels allowing you to load sheets outside and then wheel them inside.

WiZeR's pic looks like it is used for working vertically with stock held in the back. Nice idea if you need something like that. After taking an 8'x4' sheet through the table saw, I can see the appeal.

There are a few adjustments I need to make which I will do over the next few days but the pic shows something that is close to being finished.

My aim is to make the environment as safe as possible. I have to say it feels strange having all that wood up high. The shelves at the moment are loose so I need to secure them. The shelves used for holding smaller stock need to have a board placed at the back to prevent things from falling down. I will keep only what I need to.

I still like the idea of being able to keep timber outside if I can.

IMG_2300.jpg

D

Back