My rescued no8

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ydb1md

Established Member
Reaction score
Below are some pics of a no8 that I brought from the dead. I purchased the body a number of months ago on eBay. I spent quite a while searching for a frog, blade, chipbreaker, tote & knob.

The plane came painted w/ flat black paint to cover up some rust and flaking japanning. I spent a lot of time buffing off the paint with a bronze wire wheel and smoothing out the old japanning. I painted the body w/ POR-15 for its durability and rust resistance. It is glossier than japanning but I abraded it to dull the finish. It ended up looking pretty good.

The blade, chipbreaker and levercap I got from Lie Nielsen. They weren't sure if the lever cap would fit but I took the gamble. As you can see, it fits the part and it ended up being cheaper than an original. The frog I picked up from a dealer in California.

no8.jpg

no8_b.jpg

no8_c.jpg

no8_d.jpg

no8_e.jpg

Great job, Dave!! :shock:
And there is some serious gloatage in the background, too [-( :lol:
What the heck is the Mateus for? Lubrication? :wink:
A right pukka job,
Philly :D

Hi Dave,

Gloatful plane. I like the patience you brought up to reassemble this plane and bring it to work again.

I see portuguese wine in Maryland. (We call it here the portuguese version of the spumanti) Man the world's got small. :wink:

Regards, Marc

Thanks guys! I had no idea how nice that wine was -- I got it as a party gift. I'll have to look it up on the internet.

Good eyes Waka! Yep, it is a no7 that has gotten a lot of TLC.

I bought it a year ago from Hartville too thinking it was a good buy -- it's one of those no-names from India. Well, it was cheap but it took a lot of work to make it usable. The blade and chipbreaker were really flimsy and the knob and tote weren't shaped very well and they were coated in a thick layer of varnish. The blade and chipbreaker were an easy fix. The tote took a lot of work with a rasp to give it a comfortable shape. Underneath the thick varnish was an attractive wood that just needed some oil to look and feel great. I'll post a pic after while.

The plane is a great user now but in hindsight I wish I'd spent the money on an old Stanley.

Great Job,

Those early number eights have lovely castings and are a surprisingly reasonable weight.

David Charlesworth

Thank you for the compliment Charles. :) I enjoyed using it quite a bit yesterday. It has nice authority and isn't too tiresome.

Waka,
below are pics of the no7. I don't have any original pics of the tote but it wasn't pretty.

no7.jpg

no7_b.jpg

family.jpg

Very nice plane and it is good to see an old one back in service :mrgreen:, it is also the size I have been looking for as I have a few old stanleys myself( low knob types) :)

Arrgghhhhhhhhhhhh! Gloat overload! :tongue9: :lol:
See you got a #1 after, Dave? How did you find it?
Nice work,

Philly":1v2bo691 said:
See you got a #1 after, Dave? How did you find it?
Nice work,

Hiya Philly!

I picked the #1 up at a woodworking show. It was too cute to pass up. As a lot have said, it's more an extravagence than a plane that I use all that often. When I'm looking for a mini-smoother, the LN 9-1/2 block is easier to use. I actually had to fettle the #1 a bit to get it to take a nice shaving. Guess that shows it's viewed by LN more as a collector than a user. It is cool to see it next to the other larger planes. It's become sort of my shop mascot. :lol:

Excellent choice of working parts!

Those early Indian rosewood handles are beautifully shaped, with a more oval section than later offerings.

David Charlesworth

Back