My Olde Kentish Bashe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMac

Established Member
Reaction score
I am going to Kent at Easter to see my son and daughter who both work there. I will be based at my daughter's in Sandwich but will also be at my son's place in Shorne, near Gravesend, at some stage.

Now, I know there are going to be trips organised to see 'things' but there is also a girlie shopping trip involved so - any good tool shops I should go to see? My interest area is woodturning and I see an Axminster store NW of Sandwich but I was wondering if there are any others I should try.

(A bandsaw is hardly hand luggage, is it?)

Thanks for any input,
Brendan

Well you'll be wanting to go see Axminster at Sittingbourne and Stile and Bates down in Dover. Both very much worth the travel. There is Exotic Timber in Tonbridge, which is an Aladdin's cave of wood. Not much more than that. I'll have a think.

Stiles and bates for definite - they are just north of dover

http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk

SB woodworking machinery (second hand dealers) are in sittingbourne - just round the corner from axminster, but i dont know if they are open to public visitors their phone number is 01795 844333

and wingham timber are in canterbury (tel 01227 720537 ) they are reputed to have a decent range of hardwood - but i dont know personally.

Btw - on the non woodworking front if you like zoos or wildlife I would heartily reccomend both port lympne zoo http://www.totallywild.net/, and the wildwood project (herne bay) http://www.wildwoodtrust.org/

Yeah, but watch the prices for a one off visit to WildWood. I can appreciate what they are trying to do in terms of preservation and conservation, but don't go expecting to see lots of animals like a major zoo. Way overpriced for a walk in the mud as a one off. If you are local and have membership by monthly subscription (as we do for the kids) then its not too bad, but if I paid £34 for a family ticket I would be wanting to complain big time about what you get for your money.

Stick with Howletts or Port Lymne if animals are your thing, especially gorillas - they are famous for them.

Steve

Thanks guys.

Dover is definitely on the menu because my daughter teaches in Deal and we are going there to see about and Canterbury has to be done because I want to see the Cathedral. Axi is going to be getting a visit because I NEED to bring something home to play with.

Zoos - I like them but I think time might be an issue because we are only there for 3 full days and I know there have been inter-sibling discussions about maximising our stay because we were asked "Is there anything in particular you want to see?" and I said I would like to see the wartime tunnels near Dover (I think) so I was told "We already have that included".

So, thank you for the advice. I am really excited about this trip because I have a super time on every visit to England. But, I have a major problem with England because, when I win the Lotto, I won't be able to decide where to buy a house because it's such a beautiful place. I don't want this to sound terribly sycophantic but the Irish have a worldwide reputation for hospitality, from my experience, we could learn a lot from you folk.

Brendan

Wartime tunnels are part of Dover Castle - you can only do the tunnels as part of a guided tour but not a bad experience. Used as a hospital and telephone exchange during the war, and they have some mock-ups as you go round. The castle itself has recently been refurbished by English Heritage - there was a programme on TV about it recently, restored some of the rooms to original condition including furnishings etc. supposed to be very good but not been since that was done. There is also a massive trebuchet in the courtyard - up close these things are really impressive for medieval technology. You can quite see how they lobbed dead cows over battlements of castles to induce illness in the castles inhabitants. Wonder how much splash a dead cow makes when lobbed 500ft into the air? Enquiring minds need to know these things!

Steve

Back