My new workshop. finally in. With pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrYorke

Established Member
Reaction score
So this is my new workshop I'll be moving in to tomorrow. It's about 80m2 & around 7 years old. There's a toilet in the corner. I'm paying £325 a month for it.

The external wall at the front of the workshop is single skin block wall with a smooth render on the outside, nothing on the outside. I would like to insulate this so up for suggestions. Will a stud wall with celotex between the studs then boarded on the interior side be ok? I can get decent thickness chipboard for free to use on the inside of the workshop instead of plasterboard (much stronger). Is this ok? How much of a gap would I need between the outside wall and stud wall?

Cheers

You could go for external wall insulation. There are always materials going cheap on gumtree local to you as there are so many housing projects being done locally. How big is the wall you neèd to insulate?

It's not my workshop so doubt that would be a viable solution.

The wall is pretty big. Not 100% sure of sizes but around 4m wide by 4m tall.

Congrats on a workshop, however is it really economical to insulate someones else building? will u be heating it in the winter?

I plan on being here for some time. It's literally 2 minutes walk from my house. I was in my previous workshop for 5 years. I carried out some improvements to stop draughts etc and all the work I did has either been removed or bought by the landlord of that unit so I'm not worried about doing the same here. I want to be warm in winter!

I'd like to hear the place but as you can see from the picture, there's a lot of space to heat!!

MrYorke":3ikyd37c said:
So this is my new workshop I'll be moving in to tomorrow. It's about 80m2 & around 7 years old. There's a toilet in the corner. I'm paying £325 a month for it.

The external wall at the front of the workshop is single skin block wall with a smooth render on the outside, nothing on the outside. I would like to insulate this so up for suggestions. Will a stud wall with celotex between the studs then boarded on the interior side be ok? I can get decent thickness chipboard for free to use on the inside of the workshop instead of plasterboard (much stronger). Is this ok? How much of a gap would I need between the outside wall and stud wall?

Cheers

Looks nice. Whereabouts in Cardiff are you?

Was in Grangetown, now in Penarth.

Going to be so much better in the new place. Was on 2 floors previously! I'm not getting any younger

Before you spend any money on insulating the walls, you have a big space there with most of the heat going way above you're head, it may be money not well spent.
I would speak to you're neighbours and see what they have experienced regarding heating a similar space with a high roof level.
It may pay you to batten or partition off a working area at the toilet end, maybe, and to gently heat, especially for finishing products, paint, polish and, of course glueing.
Regards Rodders

Yes, that's my thoughts as well but I thought I'd start with the wall first. A little more manageable in size to begin with!

if you do go with the celotex or kingspan idea which also sounds fine with maybe an 100mm gap from the wall, im sure chipboard will be fine to cover the face side. look out for seconds of celotex or kingspan from the factory near Pencoed I think (rockwool). I will try and find out the number for you they also do delivery.
karl

Oh that's very interesting. I know where that factory is. Used to drive past on jobs occasionally when I used to work in Cwmbran. Thanks for that :)

Finally got everything moved in today. Just need to sort it out!

80 sq metres is a good size for a one/two man workshop, that's the size I went for when I built my current place. Of course it's 15% too small, but then all workshops are 15% too small!

Good luck with the move.

The metal walling....condensation will form on the inside of the metal wall when the temp outside is lower than inside like on windows in winter i think he means

There are no metal walls. They are an insulated panel of some sort. There is a spare 1 resting against the wall slightly to the right in the picture. Think they are the same as what's being used on the roof. About 150mm thick and corrugated.

The unit is about 7 years old and was rebuilt then after a fire. There are units either side so walls are double skinned. Just not the front wall!!

Yes, is me and 1 other working there. Is only just about enough size for us. I'm thinking that I could build a mezzanine some time in the future if needed. The landlord said it would not be able to to be fixed to the external walls though or i would have to pay business rates.....or something of those lines.

Latest posts

Back