My new cordless saw blade spins clockwise. Why?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PearlyKing

Established Member
Reaction score
Beginners question. Just bought a cordless circular saw and surprised to see that the blade spins clockwise, cutting up from underneath the wood. There is obviously a good reason for that, but Google didn't help. Not a problem, just curious.

It pulls the wood tight to the base of the saw, instead of lifting the saw out of the cut which would be dangerous.

Pete

You don't say what type of saw it is but I assume you mean what I call Skilsaw. The type you might use with a track system for cutting sheet material?
If you think about it, rotation which made the cut from top to bottom of the material would tend to push the saw upwards and make it climb out of the cut. Highly dangerous, particularly when the blade dulls a little or hits a hard piece. Even jig saws cut on the upstroke, it's the only way to make them safe to use.

Clockwise is a strange term... There's no standardisation as to which side of the saw the blade fits. Saws with blades on the left spin clockwise. Cutting up from underneath is standard and keeps the saw down on the surface rather than riding up and running away.

Sorry, should have mentioned the model. It is a Dewalt DCS391, 165mm blade. Photo attached of saw with blade that came with it.

Attachments

• ae235 (1).jpeg
    ae235 (1).jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 6
Forgive me lads, I got this completely wrong. I had thought that my 240v Dewalt rotated clockwise, coming down on the piece. Seeing these comments made me pop down to the garage, in my PJs, to look, and they are both the same! I got confused by the new saw having the motor on the "other" side. 😌

Back