My firt visit to English Hardwoods, Geddington

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
I'm sure some people will be familiar with Nigel and his timber, but for those who aren't and indeed for anyone who's only ever been to a timber merchant where everything's neatly stacked in PAR boards (e.g. me) here's a quick review.

The whole episode was a bit of an eye-opener, from seeing the huge rough sawn planks of a wide variety of timber through to some fantastic examples of burrs and other figurative effects, and all complimented by Nigel's enthusiasm and knowledge.

With much of the timber coming from the stately home's grounds across the road, Nigel can even tell you when the tree that the timber you're looking at was planted, and even the reason it was felled.

I mentioned a couple of potential projects I was thinking of doing, the Andrew Lawton skeleton chest I mentioned in another thread being one of them, to get Nigel's input into suitable timber. My plan before I went down was the frame in maple and birds eye maple and the drawers in bubinga. This isn't "exotic" but does mean getting timbers from abroad. I guess my preference had always been towards using these types because they always seemed a bit more interesting.

Nigel soon changed all that. His suggestion of rippled sycamore and plain sycamore for the frame and bog oak for the drawers was soon implanted in my mind when I saw the timber he was talking about. Creamy white sycamore and the most fantastic black bog oak has already got me dying to find the time to get that piece started.

However a spanner was put in the works for my plan when I caught sight of a bookmatched pair of burr chestnut planks. They're currently propped up in my hallway and even now I still pop out to marvel at the range of figuring that can be contained within such a small amount of wood. I've got something in mind for them and I'm not sure I can wait to start on it!

That one visit has helped shaped where I'd like to go with my furniture making - reasonably simple pieces with interesting touches, all made in timbers sourced primarily from the UK. Why look abroad when we have some a fantastic stock of wood right here in our own country. I am sure I might sneak the odd little piece of foreign timber in but it certainly will be an exception rather than a rule.

So, if you get the chance, take the opportunity to go visit Nigel and be warned - if you take any cash with you don't expect to leave with it!

Can someone clear this up for me... Is bog oak all gnarly old bits that are iron-hard or can you get 'new' material that is even slightly more useable?

Aidan

Geddington is just up the road from me, I never knew there was a timber yard there, I used to get all my timber to practice on from a mate who worked in the old saw mill opposite Kettering Hospital, Which has now been replaced with Flats :evil:

Do you have a contact number for English Hardwoods?

English Hardwoods
Geddington Sawmill
Grafton road
Geddington
Northants
NN14 1AJ

07979 251 497

As you're leaving Geddington it's just on your left before the very last house. Green gates - marked "Geddington Farm".

Geddington Sawmill

Geddington,
Near Kettering,
Northants
Ring Nigel on 01536 330679

Latest posts

Back