My first workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajbell

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Decided it was time to take the plunge and stop sharpening
my planes and actually make something!

So I have started on my first 'proper' workbench
(I currently use an early B&D workbench)

I am kind of following the Ian Kirby 'Simple Workbench' design
in the Scott Landis Workbench book.

I have chickened out of making my own worktop and bought
a firedoor off ebay (£20 +£10 delivery).

The frame will be B&Q's 'finest' pine 70x70mm for the legs
and 70x44mm for the rails and stretchers.

I cut the legs roughly to length with a handsaw

Cutting the bridle joint at the top of the legs was a real pain as I have no drill press or mortiser :cry:
so I used my triton and homemade router table (my first project)

Here is a picture of my router table:

router.JPG

The joint is 70mm deep and 1inch wide (sorry about the units!) and after a few hours of trying to get the right set up correct I finally made the cuts.

I used a fence to control the position of the cut but had to do this in
3 passes to get the correct width. I used paper for fine adjustment.

bridle_length.JPG

They don't look too bad - apart from the stange contoured bottom as I cut them in 3 passes - better sort this out before I make my tenons to fit.

bottom.JPG

For the leg motices I used the router table and lowered the wood onto the
cutter (carefully!) I used a fence on either sied of the workpiece and a stop block fore and aft to control the mortices. My cutter was 50mm in length so I had to work from both faces of the legs to form the through mortice. Unfortunately this meant that the mortices were not 100% aligned trhough the thickness so I need to use a chisel to remove the ridge at approx half the through depth

For the tenons I used ahome made sled as below:

sled.JPG

I removed the square corners using a chisel.

The fit of the M&T joints ranged from sloppy to fits like a glove
to hammer time! But I was happy as this was my first attempt cutting M&Ts.

I reinforced the tenons for the stretchers by gluing on additonal blocks on either side and used M8 bolts so I could take the bench apart (the end frames were glued)

stretcher_joint.JPG

The frame is as below:
frame.JPG

The bench now looks as below:

table.JPG

Here are some of my planes:

planes.JPG

I still have to fit the vice and dogs etc...
vice.JPG

Andy

Lord Nobbo

Sorry - it took me quite a while to work out how
to post the pictures!

The bench is very must a first attempt but it seems rock
solid.

I am going to screw the top from beneath to the rails.

I may trim the edges with hardwood, I am trying to get the
courage to visit my local timber supplier but I am not
sure what to ask for yet!

Andy

That looks good, Andy =D> When I lipped the top of my bench (which is made from MDF) I used softwood. I've found that it doesn't get much wear on the edges and it's lasted very well. So if you want to save some money you might want to consider softwood. Here's a picture of mine

eb557c5d.jpg

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Andy

Good stuff! Looks very solid and practical to me. I greatly admire those who build their benches with all hardwoods but I'm a "chipboard and pine" man myself (mine has to fold up against the wall when I put the car away!).

Regards.

Thanks Paul & Evergreen!

I am really chuffed with it (little amuses the simple)
just have to decide on the vice attachment and also
need to make faces for the vice (can these be softwood?).

I will hold off on the lipping till I decide the best way forward.
i.e soft lipping (cheap), hard lipping(more expensive) or no lipping (cheap and easy!)

Andy

I thought I was looking at a picture of my own bench, it's almost a carbon copy. Nice. I also see you have some real woodworking planes and I don't mean those metal things either.

Mignal

Have you looked it your workshop recently ?
Maybe I pinched your bench!

As you can see I do have some woodies -
but I am still at the stage of trying to set the depth
of cut.

Oh and I think one may be for rebates? I don't have a clue really!

Andy

ajbell":3ulda7e8 said:
and also

you`ll find these need to be hardwood or birch ply is a good alternative(many old fashened hardware/lumber stores have offcuts of these types of board you can get for a good price

Andy
Well done!! Looking great, you must be very pleased?
Look forward to seeing you knock out your first project on your new bench.
Best regards
Philly :D

Waka

I think the first project is a toy chest
for our son. He is 6mths old now and my wife thinks
he will be at Uni by the time I get round to making it!

My worry is do I make it in pine or hardwood such as beech or ash?

I want to use my handtools as well as the router.

I only have a small bandsaw and no table saw (I have a circular saw)

I love the idea of using 'proper' wood but have no experience
with preparing it so It is easier to just pop down to B&Q or Focus.

Andy

Andy, nice workmanlike bench. :D I think the wooden plane you think may be for rebates could well be a moving fillister (so yes, for rebates!). Looks like the nicker blade may be MIA, but on the other hand it appears to be "shoulder boxed", i.e. the angled inset of boxwood to take the maximum wear at the corner, which is a sign of a better quality plane.

As far as taking the plunge into hardwoods or not, having just been tackling my first project in pine for years I can only suggest you do yourself a favour and start using some nice hardwood PDQ! How about poplar? That's fairly tool-friendly, cheap, and if necessary you could get it ready planed up... :-$ 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Nice bench Andy. I like the way you have strengthened the rails with the tenons on. I've still to make my bench so I might just steal your idea.

Looking forward to your next project,

regards

Brian

Nice looking bench, Andy. No frills but good for anything.
A bit of advice, though. I know it's not finished but please round over the corners of your blocks on the ends of the rails.
Twice I have damaged one of my hands reaching forward without looking and have caught my hand on a corner like those. The first time the corner was on a stack of glass - blood everywhere, including the floor in A and E!
The second time was on the corner of a fixed block of wood.
Strangely the second one didn't do too much damage but it hurt a helluva lot more.
Hope you don't mind the suggestion. You were probably going to do it anyway but I thought I would mention it. Getting blood all over your work is not to be recommended!
Well done.

SF

ajbell":2g9ssuyj said:
just have to decide on the vice attachment and also

I would always use hardwood for the vice faces - I think you will find that softwood is just not up to the job. I used some mahogany for mine. I got it from a couple of shelves that I took down when I moved into our present house.

As regards fitting the vice, there are generally two ways. You can either use coach screws from underneath, or coach bolts, bolted right through the bench top with the head of the bolt sunk beneath the surface. For a relatively thin top, I reckon that bolting right through is best and certainly stronger (those Record vices are quite heavy). However, I'm not sure what the core of the fire door you have used is made from and whether that may determine how you fit the vice. You will, in any case need to fit a block of wood underneath the top to act as a spacer to bring the top of the vice jaws about an inch below the bench surface, then when making the vice jaw faces make them level with the bench top (but you probably knew that already :oops: )

Paul

Thanks all for the kind words.

I will think about Poplar, I had not thought of it before.

I will also round the blocks, good idea.

The top is 2" thick - it looks like it is made of laminated softwood
I may go for the bolts through the top (just need to learn how to plug!)

Brian - I used the Workbench Book by Scott Landis for inspiration.

Andy

ajbell":yj8hxasu said:
I may go for the bolts through the top (just need to learn how to plug!)

No real need to plug the holes (other than for the sake of appearance) - just make sure that the heads of the bolts are just below the surface. I've never bothered to plug mine.

Paul

Paul - that means I have no excuse now for not finishing
my bench!

I have been putting of attaching the vice as
I love my nice clean 'table' and am worried that I will mess
it up by cutting the recess for the vice.

Oh well - that is a job for next week, better study
my Workbench book for the 1000th time for inspiration!

Andy

ajbell":17yrj4lc said:
worried that I will mess
it up by cutting the recess for the vice.

You don't have to have a recess unless you want the inner vice jaw and facing to be flush with the rest of the front of the bench. I didn't bother and just bolted mine on. The Workbench Book which you have shows four different ways of fitting a vice - edge mount; flush mount; flush mount behind apron; and mortised mount. While there is some advantage in having the inner jaw and facing flush with the bench front, I've been quite happy with the edge mounting.

One other point where I don't like the fitting in The Workbench Book is that they show the vice facings fitted with wood screws. Older Record vices had threaded screw holes so that you could fit the vice jaw facings with machine screws, screwing through the wooden facings and into the metal jaws. If your vice has threaded holes and you can use machine screws that's fine. The later vices had plain holes. If yours has plain holes don't be tempted to use wood screws. The jaws of the vice toe in towards the top and the leverage this exerts will tend to work the screws loose. I would (and have) use machine screws and nuts. This will mean that on the rear jaw you have two nuts protruding at the back of the vice and you will have to drill two shallow holes in the bench front so that the jaw can go up flush when you fit it.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Back