My First Turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget to show us the finished bowl.

.. amazing what you can do with a bit of firewood... good work and I'm guessing one nelluva lot of satisfaction :wink:

What's next?

For a first attempt at a bowl that is very very good,IMO :D
Will look even better if you do finish the base off,and thinness and shape will come in time,when the fancy takes :D

Sod!!!! My 52nd bowl didn't look that good :lol:

Seriously. Any comments about design should be taken on board as suggestions not criticism as unless you are making it for someone else you only have yourself to please. The finish on it looks pretty amazing if it really is your first attempt. I'd expect to see tools marks, rip outs etc so either you are pretty good at using Photoshop or you have every right to be proud of it.

TIP: Hang on to it. It is like your first car or your first....won't go there :lol: It will always mean a lot.

Pete

Hi There Vulthoom !
Brilliant Start there, my friend. - Nice one ! 8) 8)
Crackin' looking bit of wood too !

Good lad - thats you well and truly hooked ! :p :p

Enjoy ALL your endeavours, including the inevitable 'slightly unplanned outcome' ones .... its all learning !

Belter for a first try... keep 'em comin' pal....
well done indeed :D 8)

As Bodders says.. " hang on to it "
I wouldn't be inclined to cut it in half as suggested up there somewhere..
who, in their right mind would do that :?:
Ok with your 20th one or something.. but thats the first, and there will never be another one of those ! :wink:

Looks good to me!
I too am not a great favourite of paper thin walls - this bowl looks in proportion to me.
I hope my first bowl looks as good as this one.

Malc :D

RodN":3j9pq7ye said:
I think that it is really nice. Forget the fact that it is a "first attempt".

So far I have made a few pens on my new lathe, but for some reason there seems to be a "oh not again... another pen" type of attitude amongst some folks on the forum, which is why I haven't posted photos.

Rod

I don't make pens and have no interest in doing so. Having said that, as a turner I appreciate the skill (which I don't have) in making them and would hate to think that you stop posting pictures because I or anyone else doesn't do them. The same could be said about all the bowls that are posted or my oddball, rustic turnings.Looking back there are far less pens on here than bowls or platters. As turners we love seeing things that others are making. Show me a pen and I am likely to nick ideas for a goblet stem. We are in the role of teaching and learning from one another so please don't 'not show pens' because of anything that has been said. all turning is valid and worth seeing. Critique is always welcome, criticism is not.

Pete

Bodrighy":1kas5dri said:
RodN":1kas5dri said:
I think that it is really nice. Forget the fact that it is a "first attempt".

So far I have made a few pens on my new lathe, but for some reason there seems to be a "oh not again... another pen" type of attitude amongst some folks on the forum, which is why I haven't posted photos.

Rod

I don't make pens and have no interest in doing so. Having said that, as a turner I appreciate the skill (which I don't have) in making them and would hate to think that you stop posting pictures because I or anyone else doesn't do them. The same could be said about all the bowls that are posted or my oddball, rustic turnings.Looking back there are far less pens on here than bowls or platters. As turners we love seeing things that others are making. Show me a pen and I am likely to nick ideas for a goblet stem. We are in the role of teaching and learning from one another so please don't 'not show pens' because of anything that has been said. all turning is valid and worth seeing. Critique is always welcome, criticism is not.

Pete

Well said Pete. :wink:

That's a very nice little bowl for a first attempt, and the simple shape shows off the spalted wood very well.

Take care when you get round to reversing it to finish off the foot - I've recently finished making a set of MDF cole jaws (too stingy to buy a proper set) and the first bowl I reversed to tidy up the base was going just fine until I got carried away, took too deep a cut and the poor little thing took a sudden flight right across the workshop!

I was lucky as it didn't hit me, and it was lucky as it landed in a piled of cardboard boxes on their way to being recycled so only suffered a slight bruising to the rim.

tekno.mage

Tekno.mage

That's whats putting me off finishing off my first bowl - I know disaster will strike so I've stuck it on the shelf as is. There will be many others.

As to whats next - I did acquire some lovely walnut blanks off Ebay (apologies to anyone I bid against... :D ) but they are rather special so I'm saving them until my skill matches my aspirations a bit more closely.

In the meantime its more seasoned and part seasoned firewood for me - as many people have said - if the worst happens, it can still go back on the fire...

Latest posts

Back