my first project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffalobill

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have just started woodworking and been using some of my hard earned cash to buy some good quality tool the last year. Been thinking what should be my first project for a while was thinking about a dovetail box or something but when my wife got pregnant i thought a cradle would be nice, probaly way out of my league but i will have a go at it.
Been looking at many different types of cradels at the internet and i found 2 that i like will try to mix a little of both and hope it dont end up like a frankenstein cradle.
The wood will be maple and walnut, i dont have any jointer/thicnesser so i will have to do it the old way.
Been working on the base for about a mondt and is more or less finished will try to take some picture of it soon.
As this is my first project i am sure there will be many screw ups and mistakes but i rekon thats part of the game, but hope to get some good advices here along the way.

If it helps my first real project was a cot too - finished it about 3 months ago, only about a month after the baby was born! It took me nearly as long to make as it did for my wife to grow our boy but was really worth it. I found this website pretty useful when I was working out dimensions for gaps between the bars and distance from the mattress to the top rail etc - http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content ... mId/975196 - it is the Australian standard for cot safety (I couldn't find the UK one anywhere but I'm guessing it's pretty similar). If you scroll down the actual dimensions are about halfway down. I used them as a guide and also measured a few in shops (fine in Babies'R'Us but they give you snooty looks in John Lewis!).

Hope it all goes well!

This is some of the wood i bought for the project the 2 inch maple is for a shoulder vice i made to my bench.

Attachments

• DSC02072.jpg
    DSC02072.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,112
This is how far i come the base is more or less ready just need some final finish and the boards for the cradle ends are ready.
I was thinking using dowels for glue up the panels as i dont have any bisquit maschine is this ok ?

Attachments

• DSC02212.jpg
    DSC02212.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 2,096
  • DSC02211.jpg
    DSC02211.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2,096
  • DSC02213.jpg
    DSC02213.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 2,096
I wouldn't bother with dowels, too much messing around getting everything perfected marked out and drilled. Just plane the edges flat and square and get them glued up. Keep things simple!

Hi
Been a while since last update but been really busy the last mondts but i did finish the cradle just in time actually about 4 mondts ago.
Really happy i made this cradle its been very useful and we still use it every day but i think 2 more mondts and it will be to small.
Here is a few pic

Cheers vidar

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,316
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,316
Very impressive. =D> Are you going to attempt to make his first bed now - or too exhausted from lack of sleep!?

Thanks for the nice comments i guys.
And Mike.S I think there is a lady in the house that is talking about a New table so maybe that is going to be the Next Project just need to get some rest first

Cheers vidar

Back