My First Plane(s)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

findarato

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on buying "My First Plane(s)". No Fisher Price jokes...

I need something to help me with general work (skirting, doors etc.) before my better half lets me loose on building shelving and cabinets.

All advice will be very much appreciated. I don't mind spending a reasonable sum if the tools are good quality and will last. I have read poor reviews about new Stanley planes, whereas Veritas seem to be popular. I'm not sure my budget will stretch to LN.

Thanks all very much. This is my first, but definitely not my last post!

"Pass the grease! I'll get the top of the slope ready for him while you lot answer his question!" :lol:

Welcome to the forum findarato :wink:

Welcome to the forum findarato

To everyone else ( IN COMING ), dont grease that slope to much as we would not want him to miss any thing :wink:

Findarato

Welcome to the forum.

Apply to have your credit limit increased now - you'll need it!

Regards.

Welcome to the forum, findarato. I think the most recent thread linked to by Rob is probably more helpful that pointing you to the 761 hits in the archive on a search for first plane #-o :lol: A jack sized plane is a good place to start I reckon; either a #5, #5 1/2 or low angle/bevel up equivalents.

Cheers, Alf

Greetings
I'd point to the Veritas low angle jack as a starting place. Not where I started. But since getting one its been almost a case of starting again.

Now the very proud and very pleased owner of a Veritas low angle jack plane . Any recommendations for my first block plane!!

Veritas low angle - as good a user as the LN, not as flashy but a LOT cheaper :lol: (leaves more to spend on more greased slope.....) :wink:

Scrit

Findarato

Welcomew to the forum.

Regarding the block plane either veritas of LN, but you do realise you'll need more than one.

A few opinions and prejudices here. You won't go wrong with either of the "big names" but if you decide to go with a Veritas you might want to move quickly - a little bird tells me the UK prices are going up 10%+ as of September 1st. And no, it wasn't either of the obvious little birds but another one; I have a whole flock of 'em. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

findarato":p05opbih said:
Now the very proud and very pleased owner of a Veritas low angle jack plane . Any recommendations for my first block plane!!

Yeah. Practise with yer jack first.

BugBear

Alf":1l9aczqb said:
A few opinions and prejudices here. You won't go wrong with either of the "big names" but if you decide to go with a Veritas you might want to move quickly - a little bird tells me the UK prices are going up 10%+ as of September 1st. And no, it wasn't either of the obvious little birds but another one; I have a whole flock of 'em. :lol:

Welll.... from information previously available on the 'net, I think I recall prices for the new catalog (Sept) are set somewhere in March-ish (for printing lead time, etc.), so the currency conversion (and hence foreign prices) are set about then.

Examining this (look at the 1y graph below):
http://finance.yahoo.com/currency/conve ... it=Convert

You will see that y'all over the pond there are getting somewhat unlucky as march was somewhat of a peak. Now I expect they hedge a little, etc, so the price increase might not be as severe, but still, bad luck an all that. IIRC, the americans were getting an awesome deal a couple of years ago after a similiar bout of good luck, so much so that LV had to withdraw a couple of high-end items (I believe the M&T jig), but the details are all a bit shady.

No real birds required, just some googlin' and market awareness.

Added: I should add that if you want to see just how unlucky it is, you will note if you look at a 2y graph that the spring '05 to spring '06 swing is pretty much a min-max swing.

Back