my first marquetry box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bram

Reaction score
I made my first marquetry box. I must say that I am quite happy with the results!

Also experimented with the hinges. I added brass sheets to get the same result as a stop hinge. I got the inspiration from an 19th century box I saw on the internet.

Bram

Attachments

• P2010366.JPG
    P2010366.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 1,049
  • P2010367.JPG
    P2010367.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,049
  • P2010368.JPG
    P2010368.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,049
  • P2010369.JPG
    P2010369.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 1,049
Bram":19ugwfrw said:
@ Aces: sorry I do not understand the question on which info you would like?

I think Adam ( Aces) means can you tell us more about way you built the box with pics would be a bonus :)
very nice looking box =D> i really like they way you have the flowers wrapped over the corner, how did your use of the brass plates on the hinges end up working out ?.

Well the technique used is called the window method, although I think so. I transfer the lines with carbon paper and then I start cutting out the pieces with a scalpel. after I removed a piece, I lay the opening over another sheet of veneer and use the original cut-out as a template. And the rest is a repetition of that technique and a lot of patience and tape!

A very nicely made box. The hinges look very smart with the addition of the stop. I have other old hinges with little flaps of brass inserted between the segments that act as a stop. However this solution is far more elegant. Your box really deserves a lining. The exterior promises so much.

Bram":1zph6zhp said:
Well the technique used is called the window method, although I think so. I transfer the lines with carbon paper and then I start cutting out the pieces with a scalpel. after I removed a piece, I lay the opening over another sheet of veneer and use the original cut-out as a template. And the rest is a repetition of that technique and a lot of patience and tape!

is the whole box veneered or have you carved out the shape of the orchids from the solid wood box and put the pieces of the flower that you have cut into the recesses carved out.

Sorry if this seems a silly questions but it's the first time I have really looked into marquetry.

Melinda_dd":2vnjcjzv said:
Bram":2vnjcjzv said:

is the whole box veneered or have you carved out the shape of the orchids from the solid wood box and put the pieces of the flower that you have cut into the recesses carved out.

Sorry if this seems a silly questions but it's the first time I have really looked into marquetry.

the whole box is veneered. It's not a silly question, but rather a compliment. It's ment to look like solid.

Bram

It's a beautiful box, and does look solid. it's brilliantly done.... but I agree, it is begging to be lined!!!

I think I like it so much as My wedding bouquet had orchids in it..... the white ones with red middles, so your box makes me think of a very special day for me!

Marquetry is something that I would like to have a go at.....so many things I want to make, but neither the time or cash to do it!!!

Latest posts

Back