My first infill go easy with me

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
From ebay this was a brass / steel shoulder plane
$_1.JPG

The sides were dented and not flat, the sole was way out of square with the sides, the iron was rusted, the infill was OK but the wedge was badly chipped
I made a new infill and wedge from some nice figured English walnut scraps, did my best to straighten and flatten the sides, trued and flattened the base again as best I could, corrodipped the blade and sharpened it, linseed oiled the wood and reassembled.
I have more ambitious projects planned so this was a reasonable start and leant some lessons along the way
2014-05-05 12.34.13.jpg

2014-05-05 12.34.33.jpg

A very slippery slope methinks
Cheers
Mark

Attachments

• $_1.JPG
    $_1.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,232
  • 2014-05-05 12.34.13.jpg
    2014-05-05 12.34.13.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1,232
  • 2014-05-05 12.34.33.jpg
    2014-05-05 12.34.33.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,232
It's the steepest slope of all Mark, the black run in fact.

Looks like you've done a very good job with the infill, I've not attempted a shoulder plane so I can't empathise but I imagine it must be quite a headache to fit. Especially if there were dents to contend with.

Lovely bit of wood too.

=D>

Looks like you've done a cracking job there Mark.
Did I hear mention of you attending Richarnolds open day?
If so, I'd love to see your plane.
I have a few things for you (and several others that are patiently waiting for things to be made).

All the best.
Adam.

Beautiful job there Mark ,reviving old tools is very satisfying and addictive be careful .Its too late for me i got it bad #-o

Cheers Bern :D

Thanks gents - kind of you to say
Yes Adam, work permitting I will be there on June 8th - I am very excited but my trouble is once I find a new hobby I am liable to go off the deep end - my ebay feed at the moment is full of things I have bidded on / am bidding on / have won / have lost. Nightmare for my wallet, my sanity, my time, my ability to get the various projects sitting in my workshop done etc etc. Impetuous is a good word to describe me :-(
Hopefully see you in a month ;-)
Kind regards
Mark

It does seem that the restoration bug has truly bitten you Mark!!

Good news as you seem to be a natural!

Cracking job as others have said before me!

Jimi

Hi Matthew
Yes they look like it - but the slot is filled in with steel. I wondered if they were some kind of wedged fixing device??
Cheers
Mark

Back