A life of vice (my new bench)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi Douglas, please give us some pictures of the finished masterpiece... I would also be interested in any plans you had, I have ordered a Maguire tail vise as well and really fancy making another bench to fit it in, I like the design of yours. I have Chris Schwarzs book on order so will have plenty of things to look at there.

Piccies Please!!!

Cheers, Mark

Thank you all! Pics now then.

So it's 8 feet, 22" deep 33" high
B1.jpg

The Maguire wagon vice looks great and works even better. The dovetail was entertaining to assemble.
B2.jpg

Twin-screw vice. I had serious misgivings about this, expecting it to be slow to use and sloppy - but it is a joy, quite fast, very grippy, and sweet to use.
B3.jpg

My early vice screws (from Joe at Bigwoodvice) have inboard garters, his later ones and Richard Maguire's have external garters which are easier to fit and maintain. The oak is the garter engaging in the groove in the screw.
B4.jpg

The sliding 'deadman' - based on Chris Schwarz's but thicker.
B5.jpg

I removed stock from the back of the vee to give clearance to remove the deadman. It's fine because the main load bearing is the front face anyway.
B6.jpg

Front of top is wedged tenons, with the back 'floating' using clips / buttons, as on a cabinet or table top, but rather bigger.
B7.jpg

An oak planing stop, which locks at any height from underneath. The wedged tenons - one of the very few 'pretty' bits - it's mainly quite plain.
B8.jpg

A loose-fit shelf under. I used random board widths (ash again) and looked for the wild grain where possible. I like the random widths because machines and factories don't work like that. It's a subtle hint that hands were involved here.
B9.jpg

About finishing: Just cannot decide what colour to paint it #-o
Generally I am a 'less is more' finisher. Anyone who reads Popular Woodworking... that Bob Flexner series is the one I always go straight past. The usual finish on a bench is an oil/varnish mix, but ages ago I came by a gallon can of cellulose 'varnish'. I thin that with thinners 50/50, and wipe it on. It dries super-fast, really locks the fibres together, it's tough, semi-matt and best of all has almost no colouring effect on the ash. Very heady stuff though, so windows and doors open!

Thank you for following my bench journey. I'll have to think of something to make on it now. I'll keep it nice for a bit but in time it will become scarred. Actually, need to move it to where it belongs first... oooer!

Attachments

• B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 71
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 71
  • B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 71
  • B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 70
  • B6.jpg
    B6.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 70
  • B7.jpg
    B7.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 70
  • B8.jpg
    B8.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 70
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 71
  • B9.jpg
    B9.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 70
Looks great, any chance of pictures of the bottom on the rm vice so we can see how it attaches and operates?

It's stunning Douglas...simply stunning! =D>

The research and attention to detail that I happen to know you have done is actually visible from each nook and cranny that you see in the photographs...a classic example of the old saying that 90% of the job is in the planning.

There is no point in my saying which part I like the best because I tried to think of it and came to the conclusion that it is the whole that is the gem.

Although you wax lyrical about the Maguire wagon vise...and there is no doubt that it is excellent, I have to say that the rest of the bench would have to match the quality to do it justice...including the fitting of said vise! And it does...in spades! 8)

As far as finish is concerned...I think an oil varnish finish is the way to go. As you know...I am a huge fan of polymerised oils (Tru-Oil being one) as these are remarkably tough and tactile. With a bench...the finish will need to be freshened every so often....and this type of finish is ideal in this context. Any finish which burns the finish below to become one is of this type...avoid "skin" finishes which rely on chemical or drying action to create an "impervious" layer...they are not suitable for this type of application in my view.

Granted...polymerised oil finishes are not cheap...but neither is your bench...and it deserves the best.

I can hardly wait to see it in the flesh....see you sometime over the weekend....well done my friend...well done! =D> =D> =D>

Jim

Wow, that is one seriously good looking bench :D. It's certainly sturdily built, any idea how much it weighs? Wouldn't mind seeing a couple of shots of the twin screw vice mechanism if you've got them.

I have to concur with Jim.

OUOTE: Although you wax lyrical about the Maguire wagon vise... and there is no doubt that it is excellent, I have to say that the rest of the bench would have to match the quality to do it justice...including the fitting of said vise! And it does...in spades! 8) UNQUOTE

Douglas,
If my effort is only half as good (Half the length as it will be) then I will be content.

Once again great work.
regards
John =D> =D> =D>

condeesteso":3iy70f5b said:
Thank you all! Pics now then...
As a n00bie on this forum, I'd just like to say Wow ! That's absolutely beautiful ! =D> =D> =D>

How can you ever bring yourself to use it ? :)

Wow!! - many thanks for all the kind comments. It has been a labour of love, an obsession really. When I mentioned how long it took, bear in mind I started with sawn boards, so the stock prep alone took ages. Also I did most of the work with hand tools, partly because all the bits are so big that handling with machines proved very difficult (single-handed). So if you fancy building one don't be put off by the ridiculous amount of time I spent! I'm sure it can be done way quicker especially if the stock is ready prepared.
PICS: yes, I will get some of the Maguire (underside etc) and the twin-screw... back soon.

Many thanks again, very encouraging. Oh, and Jim... too late, the finish is on! Come see.

p.s. Wobbly - it feels like about 160kg... (I compared it with my Scheppach 2500ci) but that's only a guess of course.

Great job, congratulations.

Just think, with a bit of luck your bench will still be around a hundred years or more from now, inspiring woodworkers yet unborn to reach your same high standards.

Brilliant bench. Well done.

I hadn't checked in on this thread since the beginning page; I looked back in wondering what 4 pages of discussion on the Maguire vice was all about !

Cheers

Karl

Thank you Karl, Custard and everyone! Sorry Karl, but by request yet more about the RM vice.
Here's how it looks fitted:
b10.jpg

And the dog-block mounting:
B11.jpg

B12.jpg

The key I think is accuracy, and working from 2 datum planes - the underside and the face of the end block which must be bang on 90 degrees to the underside and square to the block channel. It is important to bore the screw hole true so check the setup on the pillar drill carefully.
The dog block needs to seat on both surfaces for max support under load, and the screws to mount it have to be central (very) otherwise the block will bind one side or the other.

The twin-screw. I couldn't find much at all out there about making these. Mr Schwarz makes leg vices galore, and rates twin-screws but doesn't tell me how to knock one up. Richard Maguire was very helpful, and Joe at Bigwoodvice helped too. I do not claim to be an expert but what I learned was this:
- before final fitting the nut block, shim it or shave a tiny angle so the screw is aligned upward a very small amount (to help negate droop). I didn't do this but I might (the nut blocks are removable).
- If the bench top is quite thick, over 65mm say, remove stock on the underside to get the block up, shifting the centreline of the screws higher
- place slips (offcuts) above the screw thread under the top to support the screw and keep it horizontal.
- plane a very slight taper onto the chop face so the top closes first (just).
- rout 1/2mm off the top half of the chop face and fix thin soft leather to it - it grips like a limpet with hardly any pressure.
B13.jpg

B14.jpg

B15.jpg

And FINALLY, no bench would be complete without at least one conundrum. Here's the one I went for:
B16.jpg

Yep. The coach screw furthest back sheared (piloted, no wellie at all really, honest). That's how it is and that is how it shall stay.

Attachments

• b10.jpg
    b10.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 127
  • B11.jpg
    B11.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 128
  • B12.jpg
    B12.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 128
  • B13.jpg
    B13.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 128
  • B14.jpg
    B14.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 128
  • B15.jpg
    B15.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 128
  • B16.jpg
    B16.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 128
What a fantastic bench Douglas, well done. You say there are not many 'pretty' bits, with beauty like that pretty is not needed. As others have said, your bench may well outlive many generations, please put your name on it, and date it.

In awe, xy

Thank you all very much. Especially as quite a few of you are regarded as mates now! El, Paul, Mark T, XY, Custard... it's like the acceptance speech, worrying about who you missed. Oh yes, Jimbo. OK, I will find a secret little corner to mark and date it, discreet like.

I make no apologies whatever for reviving this thread as I had the pleasure of seeing it "in person" today.

All I can say is that it is a work of art! =D>

For those of you who have not met Douglas...he is a lover of fine tools....user tools....and a fanatical perfectionist as far as engineering matters are concerned.

Does this make him a collector? Probably yes...but he would deny it! :mrgreen: :wink:

But what I can say without any doubt or exaggeration whatever....he blinkin' well knows how to use those tools.

Great though the pictures are....you cannot get close to seeing how superbly built this piece of fine furniture is....the attention to detail is out of this world with loads of totally unnecessary touches that are there just to make you feel good! Thanks heavens that there are still some craftsmen out there that want to make functional objects perfectly but still want to please with fine touches of art!

This bench sets a standard against which others should be judged....it is a masterpiece!

=D> =D>

Jim

Back