A life of vice (my new bench)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I appreciate there are plenty of threads about bench builds here already, so I will not be at all offended if you skip past this. It may be a long one (time certainly, up there with Richard T's infill thread :lol:
I'll try and make it interesting - decisions and why, how some tools and machines performed, problems, etc

First, the BRIEF:

My ideal bench - hand-tools, furniture making. (I know there is no ONE perfect bench, but we try to get as close as possible, and minimise the compromises).
A bench to me is: a rock-solid flat worktop that serves to fix vices to it. It has dog-holes to fix work to, and it's at an optimum height.

Size - approx 8' x 22", 34" high. (Imperial because that is how I think about bench sizes)

material: ash throughout, top 92mm thick (about 3 1/2"), legs 5"x 4", horizontals 4 x 2, with 6 x 2 upper front for dog-holes

vices: twin screw front, 36" long with screws at 22" centres (clear 20" between). Screws from bigwoodvise, Shaker style.
tail vice - between the Veritas Q/R tail, or the BenchCrafted - really stuck on this and need to commit very soon. There is at least 4 weeks wait on the BenchCrafted, making the decision even worse. And please don't think 'money to burn' - I really don't have, this is a big expensive decision for me.

Construction: the base will be jointed (mainly through tenons, wedged), but the top will be removable - fixed is marginally better but we may move one day, and I may need to re-engineer the top also - so on balance, removable top, but very firmly fixed to base. I estimate weight will be around 170Kg, before vices.

I got the ash about 2 months ago, and prepped it to slightly oversize. 15 lengths of 92 x 50 x 8'6" (I'm mixing metric and imperial just for fun, but that's the way it was all cut!) - this is the top plus 3 pieces spare - pick the best for the top, the rest for stretchers etc. The top will be approx 12 pcs, and actually they planed out to around 45 - 50mm. Only the front 2 laminates are exactly 50mm for various reasons regarding front vice structure, front leg location etc.

I'm happy the ash is very stable in the workshop, and hasn't moved significantly since ripped from wide boards - any movement is more stress relief than humidity change I'm sure.

Legs are 2 off 5 x 2" each (so 5 x 4") - they were cut and planed at the same time.

The top will probably end up 90mm, allowing a mere 2mm for final flattening once fully assembled.

Front vice - I have never used a twin-screw, and seriously considered a leg vice... but I have 2 screws! Actually, I think I'll get along with it fine, but will have to adapt of course. I've found out how to virtually eliminate vertical racking - will sort that later. It needs some horizontal racking as that is a part of the benefit, and also you need to be able to adjust the screws one at a time. I think it is: stock held in right hand, left hand to rough adjust back screw up, then tighten front screw, tweak back screw if necessary. It sounds a faff, but the pitch is considerable, so I think I'll get fairly quick at it. But if I don't like it... re-engineer the top!!

Here's some pics, incl one with the hand-tools I've used most so far. I love the Japanese marking knife; the Lie block plane and scraper for cleaning joints (some wild grain in there), the Lie 7 1/2 is outstanding for truing edges of tops. I found it very difficult to get the long boards truly straight on my planer - I can imagine those American ones with long beds must be easier - but they always have more space! The old Stanley chisel gets used for paring a lot - not sure really what it is as it's like a thickish paring chisel - but it's a favourite. The Record No4 is very good with some of the tricky grain, a great smoother. And the 4" sliding square is a Rolson, about £8, and I use it way more than the 6" Starrett that cost about 8 times more!!
So far the bandsaw (RP500) has been invaluable, but really tricky handling 10" x 2" boards often 9' long or more, single-handed. The Sheppach 260 has performed well, again tricky handling those sizes single-handed. The Appleby Woodturning blades (£14 a pair) have been very impressive indeed. Chip extraction is poor - using a RP4000 but a lot ends up on the floor. I know the RP4000 is really for dust, but I don't want a dedicated chip extractor too - they take up valuable floor space.
The table saw has been used a bit - mainly cutting tenon shoulders (Scheppach 2500ci). The Festool Kapex has been vital for cross-cutting to accurate length. Expensive but really very good indeed - the blade is excellent (as it should be at about £90!!).

Anyway, will keep you posted... but tail vice has to be obtained as it is holding the whole thing up.

Attachments

• bench6.jpg
    bench6.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 890
  • bench4.jpg
    bench4.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 890
  • bench5.jpg
    bench5.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 890
  • bench3.jpg
    bench3.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 890
  • bench2.jpg
    bench2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 890
  • bench1.jpg
    bench1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 890
I'll watch with interest as I'm contemplating building a new bench, ideally a Roubo style one. For vices take a look at Fine Tools http://www.fine-tools.com/werkstatt.html. They seem to have a good selection and the rpices seem o be very good (not sure about the shipping charges).

Some good sites to visit are -
Rennaissance Woodworker http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/ also has video podcasts of his Rourbo build
Richard Maguire - http://www.maguireworkbenches.com/html/the_workbenches.html

Andy - good links, thanks. I know the German supplier (has some cracking big bowsaws btw!) but I feel the European screws are not quite what I am looking for. Renaissance link is really excellent - his Roubo series is very good indeed. And guess what, a Benchcrafted tail - damn.
Richard's benches have been an influence, particularly re the twin vice - he gave me some info re vertical racking which was massively helpful and will be explored soon.

little update - I've set the nut blocks (not fixed of course)... so where's the hole centre then?
Happily, Joe's drive centre marks are still there. A brass framing pin, chopped the head off, left about 1mm proud, and checked for centre - the fine Rolson 4" again. (Pin not really visible in pic, sorry).
I want these holes bang on - an uneven gap at the front would be upsetting. The thread outer is 2" exact, so I will have an issue deciding hole diameter, as 50mm is too small, and the next jump up is probably considerable. I expect some clearance anyway, and moved the nut forward into the front laminate to get the nut as close as reasonable to the vice face. I shall ponder... ponder at least twice, then cut, maybe just once.

(glue yet to be cleaned up... been using Titebond 3, really just for the longer open-time. I'll need that when the top gets glued up I expect.)

p.s. 2 1/8th forstner bit from Highland Woodworking only $18 (U.S. being a handy place to get imperial items), maybe go for one of those, but will try and find a UK source anyway.

Attachments

• bench2-3.jpg
    bench2-3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 851
  • bench2-2.jpg
    bench2-2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 851
  • bench2-1.jpg
    bench2-1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 851
Hi Douglas!

Even now we can see that this has the makings of a master-crafted heirloom! =D>

It will be fun to see in physical form, the results of the discussions we have had on the subject...clearly you want this for ever...the ultimate bench for you.

I look forward to seeing it in person and watching this WIP!

Oh...and it's nice to see Arthur working for once, instead of sitting on my shelf as number two number four! :wink: :wink:

Cheers mate

Jim

Jim! - Didn't realise he was called Arthur. I was considering James (after Murdoch Jr) as he's also a bit of a smoothie :) But I like the plane too much...

condeesteso":2qfuueis said:
Jim! - Didn't realise he was called Arthur. I was considering James (after Murdoch Jr) as he's also a bit of a smoothie :) But I like the plane too much...

AH! I forgot to tell you...he's so good at what he does he's in the "Guinness Book of Records!" :mrgreen:

But now you've adopted him you can change his name anytime you want... :wink:

Jim

HOT NEWS! - tail vices. I was in contact with Mike at Classic Hand Tools a few days ago, as we had discussed 'wagon vices' some months ago and he was considering stocking the BenchCrafted then. Anyway - Mike told Richard at RM Benches, who has mailed me to say he is very close to launching a UK made wagon vice. I need pics and more info, but I may be able to go British... about bloody time!! More news as I get any. I would quite like my bench to have one of the first... assuming it's as good as Richard says, and it most probably is.
More news as it breaks (not literally).

Hi all - pretty much the first thing I said was this would be a long one (time)... well. The bench is now on stop. I have become very frustrated indeed in my search for the perfect tail vice. I thank Paul very much indeed for his detailed insights into the Veritas Q/R, but I simply feel I need to look at one or maybe 2 alternatives - and they are not there to be looked at. Richard McGuire is allegedly very close to launching an alternative to the BenchCrafted, and BenchCrafted are very hard to deal with - the price is $359, wait is at least 4 weeks...
This makes the BenchCrafted about £400 landed (with shipping, duty, VAT), and that is before I ever get to touch one... just touch it!!
Sheffield (fine city indeed) could be making this and very well, and selling loads, at around £250.
I am very frustrated... will get back to the bench soon as I make some tangible progress, but I can't cut anything more till I know what the tail is going to be.
It should not be this HARD to spend hundreds of pounds on a bloody tail vice.

Hi Douglas, those benchcrafted vises are soooo gorgeous though.... I feel your pain, I really wanted one for my bench , but the thought of spending out that kind of dosh on one of two vices, kinda made me wince. But each time I see a picture of those polished wheels, i can imagine the feel of it in my hand as it spins... and then i regret not buying it...

go on, you know you want to....

Douglas, have you seen the wagon vice in the Scott Landis 'Workbench Book', built by David Powell? It does everything the Benchcrafted vice will do and all you would need to make it yourself would be a Record-type tail vice screw and nut (Axminster sell various makes for around £20 - £30) and a few bits of metal. The only snag with this option is that I think you would have to turn the vice handle anti-clockwise to do it up and clockwise to undo it, which is the opposite of how a vice normally works. The reason for this is that when a conventional tail vice screw and nut is used for a wagon vice, the nut moves whereas with a conventional tail vice the nut is stationary. However, if you could live with that, you could have a superb wagon vice at a fraction of the cost of the Benchcrafted one (and having made it yourself, you know it would be good :wink: ). I think if I were going for a wagon vice, that's what I would do.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Paul, I will certainly explore that. Am still considering all poss options anyway, but have packed the bench parts up in workshop loft, so it is officially 'on stop'.
Meanwhile, I have now had a sneak preview of Richard Maguire's forthcoming tail / wagon vice. It looks extremely promising... I must admit I am fussing over details of options on this, and trying to get that Swiss watch feel - which is certainly ironic as there is nothing Swiss watch about a trad wooden face vice.
If I get the chance, this thread may become an early review of the RM wagon vice... more news soon.

P.S. wandered away thinking about the Benchcrafted, and the RM. I think what we may have here is that the Benchcrafted looks great, in a rather Cadillac way, the RM I suspect is going to look great, in a rather Alvis way.

I have long been thinking of using a series Land Rover jack for a wagon vice. I'd put up a pic but Mr.Google seems to have not heard of them... I'll try to get a photo of mine if anyone's interested.

The bolt and travelling nut could quite easily (he says) be transferred to a more suitable/bench friendly frame and with the application of a nice, shiny hand wheel I will end up with something just as nice to use as from these customers ... longer travel too - high old things to lift, Land Rovers.

condeesteso":3gvtkj6o said:
I appreciate there are plenty of threads about bench builds here already, so I will not be at all offended if you skip past this. It may be a long one (time certainly, up there with Richard T's infill thread :lol:
I'll try and make it interesting - decisions and why, how some tools and machines performed, problems, etc

First, the BRIEF:

My ideal bench - hand-tools, furniture making. (I know there is no ONE perfect bench, but we try to get as close as possible, and minimise the compromises).
A bench to me is: a rock-solid flat worktop that serves to fix vices to it. It has dog-holes to fix work to, and it's at an optimum height.

Size - approx 8' x 22", 34" high. (Imperial because that is how I think about bench sizes)

material: ash throughout, top 92mm thick (about 3 1/2"), legs 5"x 4", horizontals 4 x 2, with 6 x 2 upper front for dog-holes

vices: twin screw front, 36" long with screws at 22" centres (clear 20" between). Screws from bigwoodvise, Shaker style.
tail vice - between the Veritas Q/R tail, or the BenchCrafted - really stuck on this and need to commit very soon. There is at least 4 weeks wait on the BenchCrafted, making the decision even worse. And please don't think 'money to burn' - I really don't have, this is a big expensive decision for me.

Construction: the base will be jointed (mainly through tenons, wedged), but the top will be removable - fixed is marginally better but we may move one day, and I may need to re-engineer the top also - so on balance, removable top, but very firmly fixed to base. I estimate weight will be around 170Kg, before vices.

I got the ash about 2 months ago, and prepped it to slightly oversize. 15 lengths of 92 x 50 x 8'6" (I'm mixing metric and imperial just for fun, but that's the way it was all cut!) - this is the top plus 3 pieces spare - pick the best for the top, the rest for stretchers etc. The top will be approx 12 pcs, and actually they planed out to around 45 - 50mm. Only the front 2 laminates are exactly 50mm for various reasons regarding front vice structure, front leg location etc.

I'm happy the ash is very stable in the workshop, and hasn't moved significantly since ripped from wide boards - any movement is more stress relief than humidity change I'm sure.

Legs are 2 off 5 x 2" each (so 5 x 4") - they were cut and planed at the same time.

The top will probably end up 90mm, allowing a mere 2mm for final flattening once fully assembled.

Front vice - I have never used a twin-screw, and seriously considered a leg vice... but I have 2 screws! Actually, I think I'll get along with it fine, but will have to adapt of course. I've found out how to virtually eliminate vertical racking - will sort that later. It needs some horizontal racking as that is a part of the benefit, and also you need to be able to adjust the screws one at a time. I think it is: stock held in right hand, left hand to rough adjust back screw up, then tighten front screw, tweak back screw if necessary. It sounds a faff, but the pitch is considerable, so I think I'll get fairly quick at it. But if I don't like it... re-engineer the top!!

Here's some pics, incl one with the hand-tools I've used most so far. I love the Japanese marking knife; the Lie block plane and scraper for cleaning joints (some wild grain in there), the Lie 7 1/2 is outstanding for truing edges of tops. I found it very difficult to get the long boards truly straight on my planer - I can imagine those American ones with long beds must be easier - but they always have more space! The old Stanley chisel gets used for paring a lot - not sure really what it is as it's like a thickish paring chisel - but it's a favourite. The Record No4 is very good with some of the tricky grain, a great smoother. And the 4" sliding square is a Rolson, about £8, and I use it way more than the 6" Starrett that cost about 8 times more!!
So far the bandsaw (RP500) has been invaluable, but really tricky handling 10" x 2" boards often 9' long or more, single-handed. The Sheppach 260 has performed well, again tricky handling those sizes single-handed. The Appleby Woodturning blades (£14 a pair) have been very impressive indeed. Chip extraction is poor - using a RP4000 but a lot ends up on the floor. I know the RP4000 is really for dust, but I don't want a dedicated chip extractor too - they take up valuable floor space.
The table saw has been used a bit - mainly cutting tenon shoulders (Scheppach 2500ci). The Festool Kapex has been vital for cross-cutting to accurate length. Expensive but really very good indeed - the blade is excellent (as it should be at about £90!!).

Anyway, will keep you posted... but tail vice has to be obtained as it is holding the whole thing up.

Are you working off a design ?

Hi Segovia (fine guitarist of course)... no, not at all! Bear in mind I started 'designing' this 5 years ago (seriously, that's when I got some of the bits and began pulling together all the ideas).
But it is an amalgamation of designs - mainly a few that Chris Schwarz has done, a bit of Roubo thinking except that almost every bench these days is called a Roubo. Some Garrett Hack, bits of Roy Underhill, some Richard Maguire, and several others. I think in designing a bench you can break it into key components - face vice, fix that to a top, design in a tail vice, build a base. And decide on fixings - dog-holes where and how many and why etc.
So it's a long-considered casual approach. Will it work? Hope so but no guarantees! Then i just have to do a 6 foot, 6" thick hyper-basic brick of a bench, 2 leg vices... heaven.
It's an addiction ;)
Need to place an ad maybe: "benches for sale, cheap, no space, swap for very big bits of wood."

UPDATE - have ordered the Richard Maguire tail vice, due in 2 - 3 weeks. Just waiting to hear back re inset from right to r/h leg (amount of overhang required), then will start again, building rest of base. Top will follow once the new tail vice arrives. This was never going to be a quick one :)
Meanwhile, investigating getting some massive oak beams over 200 years old, machined down to 6' x 9" x 6" (2 off) plus about 12 feet of 6" x 6" (legses, Gollum calls 'em) and some 6" x 3" (stretchers).
The beams have a very interesting history... this brick of a bench to be known as The Nelson, for a number of reasons to be disclosed later. There is no reference I can find to determine if A Roubo actually had a sense of irony or humour.

p.s. I heard one of the Americans speaking of la petite Roubo. Workbench is masculine: le banc de travail, so I think le petit Roubo might be better...? Anyway, the brick is definitely going to be masculine.

I don't know if he had a sense oh humour either but ' A Roubo' sounds like a Klaxon. HTH.

Coo ... 'citing ain't it? Will you be the first to review the R. Maguire vice? It's still "coming soon" on the website.
Interesting history ...The Nelson .... you haven't been nibbling at the Victory in the small hours have you Douglas?

Hi Richard, nope (re Victory) but you are a tads warm... more news soon ;)
I think I'll be one of the early customers for the RM, but I did promise I would hold back reviewing it in case there were any pre-production / early production niggles... I think that is fair in return for hassling them daily to get one!!

Thought re 'The Brick'... If I got cross with it, I couldn't pick it up and throw it across the workshop. Not like Richard with his anvil. Is that why the wall is out Richard? Reminds me of the blacksmith and apprentice - 'when I nod my head... then he throws the anvil through the window. Apprentice throws the hammer... "Oh, I thought we were going outside to work."

Need to get on with the day now.

Fellas, I just must get round to posting some pics and commentary on my Ash Roubo workbench build which is nearly finished.

I need to work out how to get photos from my new phone. I will have a go at the weekend.

Tony.

Back